Author Topic: Anchor Chain Stopper - Is there space?  (Read 1559 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Anchor Chain Stopper - Is there space?
« on: April 29 2022, 08:21 »
I do not like setting the anchor on the windless... however, I am a bit too lazy to tie off the snubber every time I set it either!

What I'd like is a nice, beefy chain stopper like this Lewmar one:

However, is there space here, and this point of the boat just simply doesn't feel strong enough to accommodate it.

What have others done?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Anchor Chain Stopper - Is there space?
« Reply #1 on: April 29 2022, 10:11 »
Snubber is the easiest way. I made up one to w fixed length back to the cleat with the hook just over the roller for everyday use. good discipline to use it every time you anchor. Think you are right there is no room for that type of stopper which is more commonly used when the chain runs along the deck to the windlass.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 29 2022, 10:59 »
Snubber is the easiest way. I made up one to w fixed length back to the cleat with the hook just over the roller for everyday use. good discipline to use it every time you anchor. Think you are right there is no room for that type of stopper which is more commonly used when the chain runs along the deck to the windlass.

Thanks Symphony, hope all is well on the South coast! I'm hoping to deliver Mirage back around there this summer for a South coast adventure.

I could fit something like this inside the roller - Drill the stainless I suppose? I do currently put the snubber on, and I use it religiously when at anchor, however when setting the anchor, without ALL the rode out yet, I can be lazy and slowly come back on the anchor with the weight in the windlass...

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Force-4/Polished-Anchor-Chain-Stopper-11-13mm

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: April 29 2022, 19:36 »
A snubber is the way to go. A chain stopper, no matter where you attach it, will never be as good, because it cannot absorb any shock loads like a snubber can (thus its name). Additionally, with a chain stopper the load path continues to include the bow roller and swivel, which are a weak point (if you've ever gotten your anchor or chain stuck hard you will know how much those bend!). A snubber attached directly to a bow cleat is much, much stronger.

Our snubber is a length of nylon octoplait, 22mm or thereabouts, with a stainless chain hook. It takes maybe 20 seconds extra time to deploy, which is IMHO well worth it. We never anchor without it. To deploy, I lean over the front seat, hook it on, close the safety catch and cleat the other end off on the starboard side bow cleat. Then pay out a couple more meters of chain until the snubber is loaded and a loop of chain hangs down so it can stretch out if needed.

Here's a video of our setup in action. Don't mind the second (rolling hitched) snubber, we use that one when the boat is swinging a lot or we expect stronger winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCls8J8gLBk
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 29 2022, 22:28 »

Thanks Symphony, hope all is well on the South coast! I'm hoping to deliver Mirage back around there this summer for a South coast adventure.

Let me know if you get back to Poole. As you know, no longer a Bavaria owner, but Golden Hind is progressing well. Located in Davis's because I had to sell Symphony first to free up my berth in the club. Spent the winter rewiring and sorting out leaks, cleaning up interior, rebuilding rudder. Now antifouling ready for launch next Friday to move round to the club. New engine due for fitment end of June(ish) mast to overhaul, new mainsail and stack pack - plenty to keep me busy.

Interestingly the space in Davis's where your boat was is currently occupied by a Benny 411 in final preparations for a trip to the Med, although from what the owner tells me it is a long way off ready for his June start!

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 03 2022, 15:59 »
A snubber is the way to go. A chain stopper, no matter where you attach it, will never be as good, because it cannot absorb any shock loads like a snubber can (thus its name). Additionally, with a chain stopper the load path continues to include the bow roller and swivel, which are a weak point (if you've ever gotten your anchor or chain stuck hard you will know how much those bend!). A snubber attached directly to a bow cleat is much, much stronger.

Our snubber is a length of nylon octoplait, 22mm or thereabouts, with a stainless chain hook. It takes maybe 20 seconds extra time to deploy, which is IMHO well worth it. We never anchor without it. To deploy, I lean over the front seat, hook it on, close the safety catch and cleat the other end off on the starboard side bow cleat. Then pay out a couple more meters of chain until the snubber is loaded and a loop of chain hangs down so it can stretch out if needed.

Here's a video of our setup in action. Don't mind the second (rolling hitched) snubber, we use that one when the boat is swinging a lot or we expect stronger winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCls8J8gLBk

How long is your snubber? Mine is a bit on the skinny side now - I think my snubber is very stretchy 10m nylon 12mm - I don't think that would last very long in a blow without some chafe protection! No chain stopper is one less thing to buy then! Hurrah! Very useful video, thanks!

Symphony - good luck on the launch!

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 03 2022, 19:40 »
I have 12mm  nylon octoplait configured as a bridle on our B39. About 6m long. It’s not stretchy enough in a big blow, so this year I’m experimenting with 10mm x 10m long also as a bridle.
Look at Neeves advice on YBW - he seems to be the guru, these days.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: May 03 2022, 22:05 »
Ours is about the same length, maybe a bit longer than 10m. Put a piece of old firehose for chafe protection where you need it - on our boat the cleats are on the rail and no fairleads, so nothing to chafe on.

12mm sounds flimsy, our boat is about 12 tons fully laden and the ~22mm rope is just right for that. It looks like it doesn't do much in most conditions (but it does, you just don't see it stretch), but if it really blows up it stretches quite a lot (easily more than a meter!) and has the strength to do so without going snap, so seems about the right size for our boat.

Jon Neeves rambles on a lot these days and will talk endlessly about old climbing rope that he seems to have an endless supply of, but has the odd bit of good advice - the modified plastic latch you can see on our anchor snubber is of his design.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 04 2022, 12:53 »
Forget the weight of boat- how much pull will your anchor hold? Probably around 1t in decent holding.
The stretch in the snubber helps (significantly ) to alleviate snatch, which a major reason anchors drag.