Author Topic: Bav 40: Run wiring from cabins to panel - what to remove?  (Read 1398 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
One of the next jobs on the never ending TODO list is to run electric wiring from the front and aft cabins to the main panel.
Has anyone done this before and can share their experience? What do I need to remove to be able to get wires from the bow to the stern?
My main blocker seems to be the head in the front. There's a 220V plug on the starboard side of the front cabin and the wires seem to disappear behind the cupboard in the shower.

If you have tipps and tricks how to pull wires, please let me know.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bav 40: Run wiring from cabins to panel - what to remove?
« Reply #1 on: April 22 2022, 12:19 »
Don't know your boat model, so can't advise on what to take apart. General advice:

Get yourself a nylon spiral for pulling cables, they're a huge help and cost little. Also a wire coathanger, which you straighten into a nice length of solid wire. Can be bent into any shape you need and great for getting around awkward corners or bridging a meter or so where you can't get behind.

And finally, use flexible conduit wherever possible: https://www.toolstation.com/polypropylene-flexible-conduit/p47607 - it protects the cables and also makes the job so much easier for the next time.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Thomas

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 12 2022, 00:01 »
It would help to know what are you trying to do. Why do you want to run these wires?
Why not take a feed off one of the circuits that already exist eg lights.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 16 2022, 13:47 »
Remove the back panels out of the lockers. you should then get to where the cable have been run.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009