Member Forums > Bavaria Yacht Help!

Teak deck renewal

(1/7) > >>

SYJetzt:
My teak decking at the entrance to the cockpit looked brittle, so i renewed it.

1) Removal of the old plywood backed sheets with a hammer drill, using a chisel.
It took 15 minutes to rip the old teak off, including the plywood backing.
As expected the tool left some deeper scratches in the GRP surface.
2) Repairing the scratches with thickened epoxy and a layer of peel ply, after curing sanding with 60 grit, cleaning with acetone
3) Glueing the new teak strips (35x6mm) without plywood backing to the freshly sanded surface using sikaflex
4) Caulking  the seams with TDS  SIS 440
5) Overall sanding with 120 grit

Lazy Pelican:
Nice job. My bathing platform needs doing in the near future. Unfortunately I won’t be able to take it home😥.

Ailatan:
Nice job indeed!
Do you have a picture of how it was before? My deck has seen better moments and I don't know what to do.
Do you think I can use your technique to change the whole deck? How could I bend the wooden strips along the deck sides?

symphony2:
It is impractical to replace the teak decks using glued on strips. Most people remove the teak completely, (a major undertaking - I think Yngmar has a thread on the subject) and then use an alternative non slip finish such as Kiwigrip. If you want a teak or teak type deck then the alternatives are to have panels made up like the originals or one of the "fake" teak looking products such as Tek Dek or Flexiteek. There are ither possibilities such as cork based finishes, but these are less common.

SYJetzt:

--- Quote ---It is impractical to replace the teak decks using glued on strips.
--- End quote ---
As you can see its not impractical. Yes, its much easier to do in a workshop instead of working on open deck, but it was a lot easier than i suspected before.
The bathing platform has been renewed by a professional last year in the same manner, and i watched the pro closely.
I expect that the remaining teak surfaces in the cockpit need replacement in the next 2 to 3 years, so i will start using the same procedure.

--- Quote ---Do you have a picture of how it was before?
--- End quote ---
Sorry, i don't have a photo,but there was the teak cover down to less than 1 mm, and the caulking did not stick in places

--- Quote ---Do you think I can use your technique to change the whole deck? How could I bend the wooden strips along the deck sides?
--- End quote ---
I expect its not possible to change teak areas made of bent strips without screwing the strips down when glueing. But i think its practical to replace the plywood backed panels  with straight strips like bavaria used them for the cockpit flooring and seating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version