Author Topic: Warning for UK buyers using SVB.de to purchase bulky items  (Read 1342 times)

sgparkin

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Just thought I'd make Bav owners aware of a problem when ordering Bavaria parts to the UK from the SVB.de website.

I've ordered lots from them over the years and they've always had good prices, customer support and delivery (even after Brexit).

A recent order (inc. a cooker) necessitated road freight delivery. This means the buyer has to arrange customs clearance themselves for the items - in practice this means using a customs agent and they probably won't help if you're not a business client (and charge significant fees). To do it yourself requires registering for an import number (for which you need a registered business) and looks complicated to me.

This only applies to bulky orders - if the delivery option for an item comes up as 'freight' you'll have a problem. The website doesn't explain this but you'll find out later when someone from SVB emails you to ask for your customs agent's details.

They told me this was down to Brexit and not having a delivery company that was prepared to handle such items and sort out the customs clearance/tax payments etc.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Warning for UK buyers using SVB.de to purchase bulky items
« Reply #1 on: March 25 2022, 17:05 »
Brexit, big mistake for UK and Europe.

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Warning for UK buyers using SVB.de to purchase bulky items