Author Topic: Solar panel on bimini - where to run the cables  (Read 2260 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Solar panel on bimini - where to run the cables
« on: March 18 2022, 21:49 »
I put solar panel on bimini.

Idea is slip the cables through pipes of bimini.

My qestion is where drill hole to through deck  and how to ensure that water does not enter.

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
Re: Solar panel on bimini - where to run the cables
« Reply #1 on: March 18 2022, 22:05 »
Mario

Not sure what model you have but I installed flexible panels on my bimini. Ran the wiring down the back stay and through some water
Proof connectors that I epoxied into the hull, then forward with existing wiring to panel where I installed charger.

You can get a cheap MC4 crimper and the MC4 connectors online to make up your home runs.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #2 on: April 04 2022, 09:08 »
Mario

... and through some water
Proof connectors that I epoxied into the hull, ...

What kind of water proof connectors have you use? I am very afraid that after a while the water will penetrate through connectors.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 04 2022, 10:06 »
Suggest you use these. No breaks in the cable and they do not leak  https://www.scanstrut.com/uk/marine/power-boat/cable-seal

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #4 on: June 06 2022, 20:25 »
I am also thinking on mounting the solar panels on the Bimini but I would like to use a plug to cross the deck so I can remove everything, even the Bimini, if needed.
Can anyone recommend me a watertight plug for this purpose?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 06 2022, 22:58 »
These are considered among the best bulgin.com/en/products/range/circular-power-connectors/standard-series.html

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 07 2022, 06:53 »
I would strongly recommend MC4 connectors. They are perfectly sealed against water and cheap. They should be used with dedicated solar cable, with has the necessary voltage isolation to be safe, but is a little stiff. The needed crimp tool for the crimp inserts is available for cheap too.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #7 on: June 08 2022, 12:55 »
I am thinking on using the MC4 connectors to join the panels in parallel, but to go through the deck, instead using a cable gland, I prefer a plug in connector. That way if I wanted to remove not only the panels but the whole Bimini I could do it. I have found this, which is quite similar to the ones mentioned by Symphony2, but I don't have any experience

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: June 08 2022, 13:25 »
MC4 is great. Been in place since 2016 and never any issues. Cheap too. I put a splashproof junction box for gardening electricity connections in the stern lazarette to join the cables entering from the solar arch with the ones going further into the boat (to solar charger, antennae, etc.). That way I can undo the joints in that box if I ever need to remove the cables (never needed to so far - knock on wood). Would avoid plugs, as good ones are expensive and still prone to break (accidental knocks/kicks or UV damage). Only do that for removable installations. Deck glands, swan necks or in case of many cables, a piece of flexi conduit rigged like a swan neck all work well for routing cables inside.

As usual, coat any connectors in a bit of silicone grease/spray before assembly to avoid moisture ingress and contact corrosion. Works a treat.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)