Author Topic: Bavaria 32 Cruiser lifting points  (Read 1815 times)

hollmanr

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
Bavaria 32 Cruiser lifting points
« on: March 15 2022, 15:14 »
Hi, I'm getting my Bavaria 32 cruiser (2005) lifted out soon. When purchased, the boat was lifted in using a crane with one lifting point, thereby having the 2 slings terminating in a central point. The aft sling was positioned aft of the sail drive. I have seen other pictures of other boats where the aft sling was positioned between keel and sail drive. I have a white sticker on the boat which is similar to the white sticker on this Bavaria which I spotted in the yard. Does this sticker indicate the position of the saildrive, and therefore the sling should be positioned in front of this sticker ?  Or should the sling be positioned to the aft of this sticker ?
Thanks !

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
Re: Bavaria 32 Cruiser lifting points
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2022, 16:35 »
The owners manual states (in case of my boat, B46)  that the aft lifting point has to be between saildrive and keel fin, and the front one in front of the keel. Check your manual, but i think it should be pretty the same. The sticker you mentioned might be the faded mark for the saildrive position, but i've seen boats with position markings for the lifting belts, which might be faded too. I would assume the belt markings, if you have one sticker in front of the keel and one aft.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 15 2022, 17:14 »
The factory sticker indicates where the saildrive is located. The slings should be forward of this and roughly under the main bulkhead. It is not absolutely critical exactly where a few cm's either way. Forward sling in front of the keel.

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: March 15 2022, 17:24 »
Here you can see the position of the slings for a 32 with a shallow keel. The boat is really heavy in the aft and the aft sling should be next to the saildrive between the saildrive and the keel. The front sling just in front of the keel, where ever you get a good balance for the boat.

hollmanr

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 32
« Reply #4 on: March 16 2022, 12:21 »
Thanks for all the quick replies - very useful!

Fenders

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #5 on: March 16 2022, 21:22 »
As in the photo above, our B32 (fin keel) was lifted with the slings in the same positions.
We also have small stickers on the toe rails to indicate the sling positions. These stickers are marked “Premier” so I guess they were stuck on by Premier Marinas.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 16 2022, 22:27 »
Most chandlers stock the lift here stickers - I got mine from Force4

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 18 2022, 17:53 »
if you zoom in there are 2 green stickers on ours  just under toe rail level which i think are original ,do you have anything like that.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 18 2022, 20:14 »
The factory did not put "lift here" stickers, just in later years an arrow identifying where the saildrive is. On my last boat we experimented with our club Wise hoist where best to locate the slings and then put the stickers on. The ideal position may be different if you are lifting with a single point set of slings, or with a spreader bar and in my experience a crane operator knows the best point for his setup. So long as the slings are between the saildrive and the keel and just forward of the keel it is not critical and may need adjusting to get a level lift.