Author Topic: Emergency tiller 1999 Bavaria Ocean 38  (Read 1521 times)

sailingnut43

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1999
Emergency tiller 1999 Bavaria Ocean 38
« on: March 11 2022, 16:59 »
Does anybody have pictures or instructions for the emergency tiller? When I bought the boat last year, the "emergency tiller" was identified as the equipment shown on the attached pictures. Now, after all the dust settled, I tried to fit the tiller to become familiar with it in case I really needed it but am unable to do so.

Looking at it closer now, the "tiller" looks more like something for hoisting. Any thoughts on what I really have? Any help would be much appreciated, -thanks.

heywoodp

• Second Mate
  • Bavaria 38 Ocean 2000
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Emergency tiller 1999 Bavaria Ocean 38
« Reply #1 on: March 11 2022, 19:47 »
Doesn't look like my emergency tiller on my Bav 38 Ocean. As you surmise, it looks more like a hoist, possibly for an outboard engine lift. My tiller lives in one of the rear lockers and is a fairly substantial  piece of metal with a bend in it. At one end, is fitted a piece of square tube, which in turn fits on the top of the tiller post on the transom. As boat is in Greece at the moment no pics I'm afraid

sy_imagine

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38 Ocean
« Reply #2 on: March 11 2022, 20:11 »
At least that's not the emergency tiller. We have exactly the same boat and it is fixed in the starboard locker. In any case, we don't have this device. It's dark now in Greece but I'll send you a picture of the real emergency tiller tomorrow.

sy_imagine

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: March 12 2022, 10:24 »
Not easy to find, difficult to photograph and even harder to extract. The locker must be half empty. This is what the emergency tiller actually looks like.

sy_imagine

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: March 16 2022, 16:08 »
I was asked for the exact dimensions of the emergency tiller because someone wants to replicate it.
The round end has an outside diameter of 3 cm with a wall thickness of 3 mm. The square end has an edge length of 3.5 cm with a wall thickness of 4 mm. The angle is 118 degrees so it should fit snugly in the locker. If you store it somewhere else, it doesn't matter that much. You can see the rest from the photos. Only the dimensions of the square are really important, because they have to fit.

sailingnut43

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: March 25 2022, 16:45 »
Thank you very much sy_imagine, the info is most appreciated. With the pictures and dimensions, I should be able to get the tiller fabricated.