Author Topic: Solar battery controller  (Read 2387 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Solar battery controller
« on: February 20 2022, 22:58 »
Next in my to do list is to install flexible solar panels on top of the bimini but my question is where do you have placed the regulator and what type? With or without LCD screen?
Thanks in advance

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Solar regulator
« Reply #1 on: February 21 2022, 03:53 »
I would go for the Victron MRPPT controller Victron BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 15A Solar Charge Controller for Solar Panels up to 220W (12V) / 440W (24V) and up to 75V

Rgds
Mike
Artemis

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: February 21 2022, 07:59 »
I would strongly suggest a mppt controller, as pwm controller waste a lot of energy.
The controller has to be matched with the solar panels. If you have more than one panel, you should connect the panels in series.
For the right size of the controller you have to mind the values of controller voltage and current.
1. Voltage:
The controller needs to have its capable solar voltage higher than the sum of  all your solar panel voltages
2. Current:
The current can be calculated as the sum of the maximum power of all solar panels divided by 12.
If the calculated current is near to the maximum of the controller, take the next larger size to have a little reserve.

The controller should be placed near to the batteries with sufficient thick cables to have the lowest voltage drop. AWG size of cables you should find in the controller manual. Dont forget a fuse of proper size!

In my opinion a dedicated lcd display is  not really needed, as the controller once adjusted does its work without the need of monitoring and the display needs place in the confined area at nav station.
For adjusting the controller a bluetooth connection and an app for the smartphone is pretty handy, like some of the victron ones have. Others needs an additional bluetooth dongle. If you charge lead batteries, the victron controllers offer a switch to select the right battery type, so you don't need the bluetooth at all. 

Connections between controller and solar panels should be made with dedicated solar cabling due to its strenght against wear and tear.
If you have removeable panels, you should use solar connectors like MC4 ones, with provide electrical safety and water tightness.  Remember that the  solar panels generate high voltages, with can be potentially deadly! 

I'm not so convinced about the victron mppt's, because my first one died in the second year of operation (luckily under warranty, and was replaced without further cost). Will see, if the second one has a longer life.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: February 21 2022, 08:04 »
Hi. Mount the Controller/regulator as reasonably close to the battery bank as possible.
We have two regulators, one for the 200W rigid panels on the gantry and another for a Rutland 913.
Both regulators are mounted on the on the outside of the battery compartment, i.e. both visible beneath the saloon seating.........Bill.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: February 21 2022, 23:07 »
Thanks for the advices. I understand don't need to go for a controller with display and also no need for the controller to be in the chart table with the rest of the instruments.
I've seen this
https://www.epever.com/product/tracer-an-50-100a-mppt-charge-controller/
And there is also a small display which can be fixed in a more accessible place.
So I think I can put the controller close to the batteries and the display somewhere else.
Has anyone had experience with this brand?

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: March 04 2022, 08:29 »
I keep on thinking about this issue while I am waiting for receiving all the items to make the installation and I thought that, taking into account that the battery isolator is in the middle of the way between the bimini and the batteries, it could be a good idea to connect the output of the solar battery controller to the battery isolator.
Browsing in the forums I found the wiring diagram attached so obviously someone had the same idea and apparently he is not a novice in electrical matters.
As I don't have a clue about electrical matters can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this option versus connecting the controller directly to the batteries.
By the way I have a starter battery and a bank of service batteries

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 04 2022, 10:39 »
I keep on thinking about this issue while I am waiting for receiving all the items to make the installation and I thought that, taking into account that the battery isolator is in the middle of the way between the bimini and the batteries, it could be a good idea to connect the output of the solar battery controller to the battery isolator.
Browsing in the forums I found the wiring diagram attached so obviously someone had the same idea and apparently he is not a novice in electrical matters.
As I don't have a clue about electrical matters can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this option versus connecting the controller directly to the batteries.
By the way I have a starter battery and a bank of service batteries

It would be better to connect the solar controller output directly to the service batteries.  This could be done at the appropriate output of the isolator to minimise wiring runs.  Connecting the solar to the isolator's input however, as shown in the diagram you refer to, is unnecessary as it would result in losses.

You say that the diagram comes from someone who isn't a novice.  Whilst that may be true, he's certainly not an expert; the diagram is fundamentally flawed.  In particular, the positions of the two shunts are wrong and the monitors would fail to give any sensible data.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
Re: Solar battery controller
« Reply #7 on: March 04 2022, 11:07 »
Thanks Tiger79.
Your comment makes a lot of sense but my question is if I connect the solar controller output to the output of the isolator there would be losses if the starter battery is already full

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #8 on: March 04 2022, 11:42 »
Thanks Tiger79.
Your comment makes a lot of sense but my question is if I connect the solar controller output to the output of the isolator there would be losses if the starter battery is already full

The isolator isolates, so if you connect to the output wired to the service batteries, the state of charge of the starter battery is irrelevant.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: March 04 2022, 17:30 »
Yes, it is true, but then I never can use the solar panels to charge the starter battery.
Is there any solution where the solar controller automatically charge the starter battery first and when this battery is full use all the power to charge the service batteries?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #10 on: March 04 2022, 17:52 »
The starter battery should always be more or less fully charged.  Starting the engine uses very little battery capacity, and this is replaced within a few minutes of running.  Unless the start battery is faulty, there should never be a problem.