Author Topic: Rutgerson stoppers  (Read 5315 times)

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Rutgerson stoppers
« Reply #25 on: February 06 2022, 13:05 »
So I show you my progress today.

This is like a trip down memory lane  ;)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #26 on: February 14 2022, 23:04 »
After a little bit of gelcoat now the base is ready for the new set of stoppers. According with the drill guide I should use M8 CSK fasteners but I don't know which type of head I should use. Does anyone know with which head you can apply more torque: Slotted, Phillips, Allen, Torx...? I don't think I need the torque now to install the clutches but I can need it in the future to remove them.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #27 on: February 15 2022, 00:14 »
Torx or Allen. But if you just put a little waterproof grease on the threads (silicone grease is great), the bolts won't let water seep past, avoiding corrosion and seizing up and will still come out easily in decades.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
« Reply #28 on: April 14 2022, 17:54 »
After two months waiting (importing goods from UK is crazy is much faster from China) the clutches finally arrived.
I chose the Spinlock because I wanted a clutch made out of metal. That shorten the list two brands Antal and Spinlock, but Antal had the holes very similar to Rutgerson and I preferred the longest distance with the old holes.
I already made the holes and the thread in the aluminium plate but appart from the silicon grease in the thread of the screws recommended for Yngmar I don't know if I should use silicon or butyl. Anyone with experience? Pros and cons of both options?