Author Topic: Rutgerson stoppers  (Read 5316 times)

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Rutgerson stoppers
« on: January 23 2022, 13:49 »
Hello everyone,
I bought a second hand Bavaria 44 (2003) and since then I have been reading this forum and learning a lot from the members of this forum. I also have been working on the boat so much that I didn't even have time to write but now I have found a problem and not much written in the web.
The first day I went out sailing one of the handles of the triple halyard stopper was broken, but the others seems to break sooner than later due to the sun. I wrote Rutgerson and they recommend to change the whole set. In fact, after almost 20 years, I should change all the stoppers of the boat.
But the problem is that the screws don't want to come out. Any idea? An impact screwdriver could work?
Thanks in advance.

elias

• Old Salt
Re: Rutgerson stoppers
« Reply #1 on: January 23 2022, 15:02 »
Hi,
You don’t have to take out the screw as seen on the first picture. Just the axle that goes through the handle . Else is a major task to take the whole thing out cause it will be corroded , the screw goes through the grp and into an aluminium plate…so imagine how is the situation in there after 20 years

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #2 on: January 23 2022, 21:41 »
We replaced our clutches last year. All of the machine screws were seized. I basically cut away everything with either an angle grinder or a Dremel with a cutting disk.  The screws were cut flush to the grp and new holes tapped.  Be aware that there is not much of a gap between the coach roof and the internal moulding so it's quite easy to drill through to the cabin below.

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: January 23 2022, 23:25 »
 I replaced all my 20 year old Rutgerson clutches with new Spinlock ones 2 years ago due to some broken handles but mainly because the aluminum base teeth had started to disintegrate, so the clutches were slipping. I used a manual impact driver (the type you hit with a hammer) and all the screws came out easily.

Like HappyAfloat I also then had to drill new holes as the Spinlock clutches are a different size and I can vouch for the fact the gap between the liner and the cabin roof is small and it is easy to drill right through  :-[

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: January 24 2022, 06:37 »
Like HappyAfloat I also then had to drill new holes as the Spinlock clutches are a different size and I can vouch for the fact the gap between the liner and the cabin roof is small and it is easy to drill right through  :-[
Me too.....

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 24 2022, 10:27 »
i think if you take same Rutgerson Model maybe RC750, you only have to change the upper part. the part which is screwed to rooftop stay there.
To remove the upper part you have to losen the screws on the side. put them out and pull the upper part to front or rear away.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: January 24 2022, 10:44 »
Thanks All for your answer. I knew you could help me.

Elias, I tried your option but there is another stopper on the other side so it's impossible to remove the axle.

Stevie H and Happy Afloat, I like your stoppers very much and changing them to another brand is one of the options I was considering but that brings me a few questions:

Has anyone tried the new Rutgerson stoppers? Because the old ones I think they don't like to open or close when there is a lot of tension on the ropes. The good part is that, like they slide on an aluminium base, it is possible that I don't need to remove the screws. I just need to remove the old stopper (probably breaking everything up but the base with an angle grinder) and then sliding the new one over the old base.
So the conclusion is that this option could be easier to fix but the result may be (and that is what I would like to know) unsatisfactory.
Has anyone changed the stoppers in a Bavaria 44 or any other model with a promontory for the stoppers? I am not very sure that the size of the Spinlok will fit in this promontory.
If promontory is not the right word, I apologize and hope you know what I mean.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24 2022, 11:27 »
Our aluminium base was so corroded that it was distorting the clutches, so reusing it wasn't an option.  You may get lucky!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: January 24 2022, 11:49 »
If you're looking to change manufacturer, the Lewmar "tilting dominoes" technology is probably the one to go for. It's gentle on the rope and has no problems releasing under high load.

There's also Ronstan's constrictors, which use a dyneema sleeve, but they're fiddly to insert the rope, need extra space and I imagine wear on the sleeve is a problem. Best left to fancy raceboats! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #9 on: January 26 2022, 13:32 »
Job not very simply. A lot of attention. I opened two windows from internal  side to better see aluminum plate dimension.
All new holes M6 threads.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #10 on: January 26 2022, 14:01 »
Repeating a hint I received from Yngmar when installing new camcleat for main furling line:

A cheap stud / metal detector for construction / renovation purposes will easily discover the aluminum plate laminated in the deck --> easy to determine the new locations if you end up replacing with totally new stoppers.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #11 on: January 26 2022, 16:02 »
If you need all the space, also last mm avoiding to drill holes too near the end of the aluminum plate, this instrument Is not useful. In my boat the aluminum plate is not enough for 7 stoppers so the last has a new plate, screws and nut.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: January 29 2022, 16:14 »
Using a multi tool I could remove the stoppers but now I don't know what to do.
Should I continue and remove the base and buy a different brand or just buy the new Rutgerson 750 and slice them over the old base?
I tried to remove the screws of the base with an impact screw driver and it is impossible.

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 29 2022, 17:58 »
I am on the same process and decided that I ll totally remove them and plug brand new. In my near boatyard I saw it removed with hammer and chisel cause of the corrosion slowly and gentle as possible . Then create new thread into the plate and install new clutches . Take out before the leather roof underneath before you drill ! 

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29 2022, 18:00 »
The real question is how much more work do you want to do?  :)

The bases look a little corroded at the front.

I would vote to replace them. 

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #15 on: January 29 2022, 18:26 »
I think that an expert technician, with right hardware, can move the screws.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #16 on: January 29 2022, 22:49 »
The real question is how much more work do you want to do?
Unfortunately I don't have a limit.... yet :)
I think that an expert technician, with right hardware, can move the screws
Probably you are right but I like to know every single screw of my boat. Also if the professional who installed the stoppers had used Tef Gel in the screws I wouldn't be facing this problem now. Unfortunately is not easy to find a good professional.

I think I need to do some research to find out where other brands have the screw holes. I need to find a set of stoppers with the screw holes as separate as posible from the original ones

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #17 on: January 29 2022, 23:43 »
If the teeth on the alumium base plates are fine there is no need to remove them. Buy a new stopper or the missing spares (whatever is cheaper) and mount it. Drilling out the corroded bolts is a big mess due to the drilling chips. If you care for your stoppers regularly and swallow out all the dirt with a hose 3 or 4 times a year they do fine for another long time.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #18 on: January 30 2022, 08:51 »
I agree that the aluminium base is not that bad to hold a new set of Rutgerson stoppers for another 20 years but that brings me to a question I mentioned above: How does Rutgerson RC750 perform as compared with other brands?
The other Rutgerson stoppers I have are difficult to open or close the lever with an 8mm rope with no load. If there is load then you need to trim the rope in a bit to open the lever or ease a bit to lock the lever. I know that 20 years ago that was the rule in every brand of stoppers but now we are in the 21st century.
As Yngmar mentioned I am not looking for the new fancy stoppers but I would like to know if there is an improvement in other brands.
I really appreciate all your comments.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
« Reply #19 on: January 30 2022, 09:13 »
The spinlock clutches that I used as a replacement was a massive improvement over the Rutgerson.

With the Rutgerson my wife struggled to release ropes under load.  However, the spinlocks can be released by my kids.

The spinlock has a two-stage release action, so they are very easy to open initially, which gives plenty of leverage for the final release.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #20 on: January 30 2022, 17:13 »
Bearing in mind that the clutches are under load with ropes or sheets powering the boat, take a turn round a winch to take the strain.
This will also help your clutch levers to last longer.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 03 2022, 11:37 »
I am waiting for one more clutch handle to break on the Rutgurson clutches then just going to replace all with the Spinnlock ones.
The old Rutgursons are just hanging in there just to spite me! Although I do need to leave some halyards on the winch as the clutch no longer holds! Just looking for that damn "roundtuit"
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #22 on: February 03 2022, 19:00 »
We've still got most our original Rutgerson clutches, from 2001. They're all fine, although I have stripped and serviced them all at least once, which was definitely needed. I think they just get stiff with age, like everything. We have a spare handle on the boat, but never needed it yet (knock on wood).

Someone replaced a few of the cockpit ones with Spinlock ones, which are newer and beefier, but they were seized up worse when I bought the boat. The triple clutch block had the handles frozen on the shared axle - lift one handle, all three ropes go bang - bad! Also fixed them and still working fine since, but that's a potentially worse problem than broken handles.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

AFRiCA

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 42 ft Racer/Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: February 04 2022, 21:58 »
Replacing the Rutgerson Stoppers with failing handels is not a big job. I recently replaced all stoppers on my 2001 42ft Sloop with Ronstan Rope Clutches taking 8 - 14mm lines. The main issue was removing some of the old retaining bolts that were corroded in place. I chose Ronstan fittings because they had sturdy aluminum handels. If you can drill and tap, then Installation is not a difficult task. 

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #24 on: February 06 2022, 00:00 »
I finally decided to go for another brand. I don't think that Rutgerson clutches are worth the price. I am sure that there are other brands with higher quality at the same price.
So I show you my progress today.
I used a multitool  and with a saw for metal and with the help of water I cut two lines at each side of the screws. Then I could move the base sideways and removed completely.
I tried to take the screws out with the help of a locking pliers but the only thing I got was breaking the head of the screw.
Finally with the multitool and a similar to Dremel I cut the base of the screws.