Author Topic: I'm Sinking!!!!!  (Read 2615 times)

Andy_Hall

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
I'm Sinking!!!!!
« on: December 13 2021, 11:35 »
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
British guy, spending a year in the Caribbean.  I've just bought a Bavaria 38 (2004), currently in IGY Rodney Bay Marina, St Lucia. The ARC have just arrived.
I'm conducting sea trials and my bilges keep filling completely with saltwater. It's NOT the sink, the shower, the loo, the tri-ducer.
It's not keel bolts. Water seems to be getting in under the stringers???? Don't think it's the stern drive seals as that area and engine bay are dry?

I'm at a total loss????

Can anybody help Please?

Andy :

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: I'm Sinking!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13 2021, 12:21 »
When motoring, when sailing, when the boat is parked?  When is it leaking?

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: December 13 2021, 12:26 »
Anchor locker bulkhead leaking ? Geoff

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: December 13 2021, 12:58 »
Maybe a hull damage after a keel crash? Check areas in front and aft of the keel for any ruptures. Usually the bootom section tends to be

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #4 on: December 13 2021, 15:36 »
Maybe a hull damage after a keel crash? Check areas in front and aft of the keel for any ruptures. Usually the bootom section tends to be
Yeh...Sounds like that, either keel leading edge pulled down or trailing edge pushed up... Maybe that was reason for the boat being up for sale..
Possibly time to have a serious chat with the previous owner, by the scruff of the neck if necessary..
Did you have a pre-purchase survey carried out..??

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: December 13 2021, 19:55 »
The exhaust silencer located under one of the aft cabin bunks could be leaking water. On a boat the age of yours its odds on that the stainless steel cap at the lower end of the silencer has corroded through. The original volvo exhaust silencers from that era were constructed from a large diameter length of rubber hose into which a stainless steel cap is fitted at each end and are held in place with large jubilee clips. Because the silencer is usually angled downwards at the aft end, sea water accumulates there when your engine is turned off, and stays there until the engine is next run. For stainless steel to remain stainless and not rust through, it needs oxygen to enable the stainless to retain its protective coating. While your engine is stopped, the oxygen within the seawater gets used up, the atmosphere within the silencer consists of exhaust gas which has had all of its oxygen used up during combustion within the engine, and so during the days or weeks between the engine last being run and your next starting it, the stainless end is starved of the oxygen it needs and corrosion takes place where it rusts through from the inside.
Lift the aft cabin bunk mattresses, then lift the portable boards and locate the silencer. Make sure before you run the engine that the inside of the hull below the silencer is dry, then lay some dry toilette tissue under the silencer. Also open the port lights to that cabin to allow any leaking exhaust gasses to dissipate.  Run the engine for a few minutes, but dont stand in that cabin to watch what happens as any gas escaping from a leaking silencer will contain carbon monoxide, “the silent killer.” After running the engine for a few minutes, turn the engine off, allow the cabin to ventilate, then go in and check the toilett tissue under the silencer. If its wet, then you have found your leak.
If it is the exhaust silencer that leaks, dont waste your money getting it welded up unless that really is the last resort. Much better to get a plastic silencer, (they dont rust and are very reliable) to replace the old Volvo one, and plastic ones are available at prices from around £70 upwards. A new volvo silencer = £500 or so, and will rust through again!!. At a push you could slap some glass fibre tape over the leaking end and smother it in resin, but if you do that also fit a carbon monoxide detector in that cabin, preferably just below the bunk support board.
Good luck with your investigations.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: December 13 2021, 22:28 »
I am with Salty. The welds go usually underneath where the tube exits from the muffler. Difficult to see, but run the engine and put your hand underneath and you likely will feel a jet of hot seawater and steam. The amount will be small, but it runs through the stringer into the main bilge and takes ages to clear up. You can often get the tube rewelded to the end plate if you are not able to get a replacement - you have to buy the whole assembly or replace it with a plastic one. When mine went - with exactly the same symptoms as you have I replaced the muffler (£350!) but had the old one welded up cost £40. Really is  the only source of seawater inside the boat if all the engine hoses are sound and leaks through a failed keel hull seal would be far more messy and obvious - as well as being extremely rare.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 15 2022, 07:59 »
Did you manage to sort your problem of water ingress Andy ?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 15 2022, 14:36 »
Maybe he's sunk  :kewl

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #9 on: January 16 2022, 18:13 »
Interesting.  This might explain the brownish water I get in my bilge after taking it out for a sail.  I didn't think the aft compartment on the Bav 44 would drain all the way to the main bilge.  I haven't seen any limber holes in the aft portion of the main bilge.  I need to look more closely now.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 30 2022, 10:12 »
The water enters through the aft end of one or other of the longitudinal box sections that pass under the floor boards, outside of the engine room area on my B36(2002), and then out of the drain holes into the section where the bilge pump is located, but some of the water missed those longitudinal box sections and entered the engine compartment. Initially I thought it was just the seals on the sea water pump that provides cooling water to the exhaust manifold heat exchanger, but it was worse than that and not until I examined the exhaust silencer before I found the real culprit.