Author Topic: Volvo Penta exhaust elbow prices: €450 + €60 for a gasket?  (Read 1882 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
I'm about to replace the exhaust elbow of my D2-55F.

For the elbow (part no 21424345) itself I found offers between €250 (after market), €500 (after market stainless steel) and €600 (original Volvo Penta).
All of these come without gaskets and without the water inlet (part no 859836, #5 on diagram) which adds another €200.

My plan is to buy an after market part (regular) with an after marker water inlet, which puts me at around €450. That's OK, I think? Your take?

But what is freaking me a bit out is the gasket (part no 888596, #3 on diagram). I found this for prices between €60 and whopping €135!
Can anyone recommend a store that has all parts needed for reasonable prices and ships to Germany?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2001
My favorite supplier for engine parts seems to have The stainless version whole kit available at reasonable price https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-penta-d2-55-stainless-steel-exhaust-outlet-elbow-connector-kit/

< 500e, but did not check if VAT should be added now post-Brexit

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Parts4Engines is a great tip. Thanks for that. Taxes and stuff are adding up with them, though.
 Meanwhile I found ShipOutletStore and they ship from Rotterdam inside the EU. Going with them for this order. 

Also found out more about the gasket: for older engine models it’s much cheaper and has a less complex shape. Not sure what Volvo did there with the F revision of the D2. Maybe it was to address the potential corrosion problem?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
Thanks for the ShipOutletStore hint - maybe we should start a a separate thread for low-cost alternative suppliers / spares.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Krumelur

• Old Salt
I'm a bit torn now...the guys from ShipOutletStore contacted me, saying the third party elbow is out of stock.
They still have the VP original one, which is €550 instead of €240 for after market.
They claim the quality of the steel would be better and VP provides you with a 2 year warranty.

I don't know what to do...I know for the price of the original part I could get a stainless steel one, but that's again an after market part and I don't see the point of stainless steel, given my original elbow held 10 years. :-)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
Just FYI: I ended up cancelling the order with SOS (ShipOutletStore) because the part was out of stock.
I then found that HDI Marine would ship from the US to Germany for only about €40.
So I ended up buying a full stainless steel elbox, including gaskets and water inlet and paid only €435.
That's less than I would have paid for a 3rd party cast iron part and only half of what the original VP part would have cost.

I must say, the stainless steel look amazing. Almost worth putting it behind glass and keeping it around as a piece of art. :-)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
Great news about HDI availability and shipping rates.

I would still reserve some funds for VAT and customs, although recently some (non-boaty) shipments from US have just suddenly arrived at my doorsteps without customs/VAT hassle

BR
Tommi
s/y Anniina

Krumelur

• Old Salt
You were right! Yesterday I received a letter from FedEx with an invoice about €100 I’d have to pay for customs.

In the end it was still cheaper than the VP part and it’s certainly more durable.