Author Topic: warning when i start engine  (Read 3995 times)

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
warning when i start engine
« on: July 20 2013, 11:01 »
Hi All, over the last few weeks Ive noticed when i start my engine after giving 10sec glow plug, the warning comes on, its the batteries warning light, as soon as i give a bit throttle it stops.

I have checked the belt tension mine 5mm, the max in Volvo's handbook is 10mm so OK there. ideas?

regards Ray

stardust

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: warning when i start engine
« Reply #1 on: July 25 2013, 11:36 »
I'm pretty sure this is normal,my B38 has always done this for the past 13 years. If you are on shore power or just disconnected the batteries are holding about 13,5 volts. With the engine at idle the output is less than this ,hence a warning, raising the RPM should stop the warning. I hope this helps Bill F ,"Stardust"

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 25 2013, 14:53 »
When the engine is started there is power sent to the stator in the alternator to excite it so more power can be generated at low revs, usually it requires 1400 revs to the alternator for it to start charging so if you start at tick over speed it may be too low to allow the alternator to charge on its own, a blip will the take the speed enough to allow the alternator to self generate.
Differing makes have differing speed at which this happens.

I used to make 50, 000 a week Lucas.

Hope this helps.
Odysseus
Odysseus

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 25 2013, 15:21 »
Thanks Both for the reply, as i thought, but you know what its like when not 100% sure.

thanks again Ray

great forum!!
 :)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: November 13 2014, 23:51 »
Had the same problem on my B36, MD2020 engine. Advancing the throttle just a touch stopped the alarm. Possibly the engine idle speed might be set a bit low, and arguably raising the idle speed just a little may be a permanent solution.