Author Topic: First Voyage  (Read 3841 times)

andrew@arid.design

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2021
First Voyage
« on: January 04 2022, 06:28 »
Hi all i have just become the proud owner of a Bavaria 37 Cruiser!  :cop

I have not seen it yet as it arrived 3 month later than expected 2 days after Christmas and is waiting to be assembled in Melbourne, to say I am excited about taking her out is an understatement, I have 20 years plus experience of sailing so not a total newbie, my first voyage after a quick shakedown in Victorian waters is to bring her back to Adelaide 500nm. I am after some experience shares of people with fresh boats in open water, I plan to have a crew of four including myself and will probably stay within 10nm of the coast.

Please keep it to personal experience and not advice, i already have enough of that from my in laws :(

Suggestions of what to take lookout for and how to make the experience enjoyable rather than a job that has to be done are all welcome.

thanks in advance Andrew

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: First Voyage
« Reply #1 on: January 04 2022, 10:46 »
No advice, no suggestions but sincere congratulations! Enjoy your new boat! I can only imagine how it must feel to take over a brand new vessel.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 04 2022, 18:51 »
Congratulations on your new boat!

When I collected my new Cruiser 37 in 2014, it wasn't without problems.  The main problem was that one of the main options hadn't been factory fitted, and this resulted in a lot of subsequent inconvenience, although Bavaria eventually sent a team of guys from Germany to the UK to sort things out.

So my advice would be firstly to check carefully that the specification is exactly what you ordered.  Secondly, be aware that some dealers won't order particular Bavaria options, but will retrofit them when the boat arrives, as they make more profit that way.  Unfortunately, retrofit installations are rarely as good as factory installations!  So check carefully.

You'll naturally need to check that every single item works as it should.  If it doesn't, the dealer must sort it out for you.  Check all the mast lights carefully at night - these will have been wired up by the dealer, and there's scope for them to get it wrong (mine were wrong).

Take it on a sea-trial for at least a couple of hours, to get a feel for the boat.  Do both motoring and sailing, and check for unexpected noises, etc.

Before setting off for Adelaide, make sure your fuel tank is full.  The gauge may show full, but they're hopelessly inaccurate.  My dealer told me they'd filled the tank, but they hadn't. 

Have a good trip!

andrew@arid.design

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: January 05 2022, 02:52 »
Congratulations on your new boat!

When I collected my new Cruiser 37 in 2014, it wasn't without problems.  The main problem was that one of the main options hadn't been factory fitted, and this resulted in a lot of subsequent inconvenience, although Bavaria eventually sent a team of guys from Germany to the UK to sort things out.

So my advice would be firstly to check carefully that the specification is exactly what you ordered.  Secondly, be aware that some dealers won't order particular Bavaria options, but will retrofit them when the boat arrives, as they make more profit that way.  Unfortunately, retrofit installations are rarely as good as factory installations!  So check carefully.

You'll naturally need to check that every single item works as it should.  If it doesn't, the dealer must sort it out for you.  Check all the mast lights carefully at night - these will have been wired up by the dealer, and there's scope for them to get it wrong (mine were wrong).

Take it on a sea-trial for at least a couple of hours, to get a feel for the boat.  Do both motoring and sailing, and check for unexpected noises, etc.

Before setting off for Adelaide, make sure your fuel tank is full.  The gauge may show full, but they're hopelessly inaccurate.  My dealer told me they'd filled the tank, but they hadn't. 

Have a good trip!
[/size][/i]

Thanks for the feedback,

I have been watching them as closely as possible, and looking out for the substitution of dealer fitted parts, so far it all looks good, but it has not been without its frustrations, for some reason they are not very keen to share photographs of progress and all this does is make me more suspicious that they are acting underhandedly  :-\ On the other hand they are never shy about asking for payment without any proof of progress   :o My confidence of the Bavaria production built boat is significantly higher than the broker process! Having said that I am confident that when I have the boat I will soon forget the negative vibes.

I will be spending at least two days on seal trials before heading into the Southern Ocean with her and the broker has agreed to let me carry his life raft for the trip (hope that is safety first attitude and not a lack of confidence in the yacht :) )

Did you get the FARR design? Two or three cabin version? I went for the two cabin version with spinnaker gear, dodger bimini and main sail lazy bag, slab reefed main sail,folding prop, navigation and autopilot options not too many luxury options as I want too sail her more than lounge around :), I had the spinnaker made by Cliff Sails out of HK, looks good but have not put it up yet! Custom logo delivered in 4 weeks at half the price of local sail lofts.

So now I am waiting for some progress photographs and and estimated completion date, hoping to be on the water before the end of the month depending on the COVID situation in Australia !

Andrew

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #4 on: January 05 2022, 11:09 »

Did you get the FARR design? Two or three cabin version?

Yes, the Farr design, 2 cabin version, inmast furling and full DuraDeck fake teak.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 07 2022, 16:20 »
Congratulations Andrew,
Recommend that you get a bit further off the coast for a number of reasons.
- more searoom if conditions change
- cray pots tend to be closer to shore and are impossible to see (floats with long lines attached to the pots which snag on keels)
- nicer to sail further offshore

I have delivered several boats to/from Melbourne to Adelaide. Send me a message to email hutton4eng@picknowl.com.au if you would like more information.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

andrew@arid.design

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: March 08 2022, 12:12 »
Signed off on the yacht and just completed the 520 mile delivery , great trip back a few minor issues with delays and unfinished details on the  Yacht but all in all it is fantastic , added to the maiden voyage we joined a two day race along the coast of South Australia and revived 2nd place, not bad for our first race with a new crew :)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 08 2022, 16:46 »
Ha Ha. We just recommended you came here for a look round!!
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #8 on: March 08 2022, 17:30 »
Signed off on the yacht and just completed the 520 mile delivery , great trip back a few minor issues with delays and unfinished details on the  Yacht but all in all it is fantastic , added to the maiden voyage we joined a two day race along the coast of South Australia and revived 2nd place, not bad for our first race with a new crew :)

Excellent!  Enjoy many miles of happy sailing.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 31 2022, 14:16 »
Hi Andrew,
Congratulations on the successful delivery.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009