Author Topic: clutches on jib sheets  (Read 1807 times)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
clutches on jib sheets
« on: January 02 2022, 12:41 »
just having a forgetful moment, our jib sheets come from the sail, to the cars, though a block to the winch,.
there are a set of clutches at the side, one has the furler line through it. should the jib sheet also go through a clutch before the winch as I cant remember, checked photos I have but sods law they don't have this bit on them clearly enough to tell.
the reason that made me think about this is we have a cruising chute and would need the winch available for this, but the winch would be in use with tension on the furled jib sail ?
so is it normal to run jib sheets through clutch blocks.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: clutches on jib sheets
« Reply #1 on: January 02 2022, 13:13 »
I think that jib sheets will normally just be held by the self tailing action of the sheet winch, at least mine are! Geoff

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 02 2022, 13:22 »
that's how we have it now, but cant remember how it was originally, and what to do with the jib sheets if we ever get brave enough to fly the big one, hence I remembered the clutches on both sides
but only the furler going through one of them.

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: January 02 2022, 15:42 »
I haven't seen a rope clutch mounted on a genoa sheet before.  One thing you may consider though is boats without self-tailing winches always had a cleat mounted near them to secure the sheet when trimmed.  This would be an inexpensive addition to solve your problem.  Cleats are easier to release under load.  Some clutches require you to take up the load with a winch before they will release.

On my Bav44 I usually roll up the genoa before setting the cruising chute.  I have an ATN Tacker that mounts over the rolled up genoa to secure the tack fitting.  That makes it pretty much mandatory to roll up the genny. 

Jake

Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #4 on: January 02 2022, 16:11 »
When we fly a kite, the sheets are led through a block as far back as possible and then led forward to the genoa winch. The genoa sheets are secured to the stern mooring cleats, which keeps the genoa secure and the sheets out of the way.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: January 02 2022, 16:49 »
If you want to fly both sails together, the best way is two sets of winches. The J&J Bavarias have room for a second set of winches on the cockpit coaming for this reason, but they were an optional feature when ordered new. I expect it's similar on the later designs? On our 40 Ocean I've retrofitted the second set, which was easy and the location obvious. They have other uses too, for preventers and/or holding the Genoa furling line, which is better than the standard configuration with a clutch on the toe rail.

Genoa sheets should never be on clutches, as the loads are too high for most clutches and you can't ease the sail when you need to if the winch is occupied.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #6 on: January 03 2022, 09:12 »
Another vote for the second set of winches.

+ redundancy - can fly both genoa and gennaker e.g. "peeling" changes
+ enables symmetric spinnaker - in 40ft range you need separate sheets and guys -> dedicated winches for both
+ close to wheelman - easier to reach while single handed
+ in addition to preventers etc, also useful for adjusting docking lines in heavy wind - again especially when shorthanded or underpowered

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: January 04 2022, 19:20 »
ok, thanks for reply's, will be leaving it as it is then tie off to cleat when furled and wanting to use spinnaker
regards
phil

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 07 2022, 15:53 »
diverphil,
I use the halyard winches for the Assy or Symmetrical kites. The brace/guy on the windward side of the Symmetrical uses the lazy primary (jib) winch.It is best to be able to set the genoa/jib when retrieving the spinnaker as it creates a wind shadow to help douse it.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009