Author Topic: Once more, the diaphragm… where to buy and how to change  (Read 1247 times)

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
Going to change the diaphragm on my 32 from 2004 with the MD2020 and MS25S saildrive. The instructions seems to be pretty straight forward, but is there anything to look out for or do you guys have any pointers to make the job easier?

The other thing is to where to buy the parts from? I do not want to end up with a 5 year old package and I don’t want to pay high prices either. Any suggestions inside EU? Might as well order spare filters and impellers at the same time if they are at a affordable price.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Once more, the diaphragm… where to buy and how to change
« Reply #1 on: October 10 2021, 16:54 »
Straight from the Volvo dealer, I don't think there's OEM parts for that so you'll pay the same as anywhere else. Don't recall any problems with outdated stock - they usually have to order it in themselves so it'll come from a big Volvo warehouse with sufficient throughput.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 10 2021, 17:26 »
Yes, as Yngmar said, just ask your local VP dealer.  The kit comes with instructions and most things you'll need, although you might need to buy special adhesive to glue the fairing piece on to the hull.

I had my boat's diaphragm changed by my local VP dealer in August.  It was a bit more expensive than planned because the metal clamping ring was rusty and the technicians weren't happy to refit it, so they put a new one on - at a staggering £300+ price!  Why on earth this isn't made of stainless steel is a question I should ask VP.

Bav32

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 10 2021, 19:38 »
The local dealer is asking 480€ for the parts. Just googled a bit and at least hjertmans.se in Sweden is a bit cheaper, both OEM parts. I have the glue for the fairing piece, or at least I had some a couple of years ago when I glued the old one to the hull.

I have a little bit corroded clamping ring, but should be fine after some small cleaning.