Author Topic: Panel 301 - getting hot after nearby lightening strike  (Read 920 times)

mgelpi

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
After a nearby lightening strike I have a few electronic instrument and mast light problems on my 2006 Bavaria 33 cruiser.

Also, however, I noticed that several of the buttons on the 301 electric panel are getting warm.  After opening to investigate the back of the panel I have identified a spot that is very hot to the touch.  All of the buttons are functioning properly. The board heats up even when all switches are off, but cools down when 12 volt power to the panel is turned off.

I see previous threads from a long time ago on this issue, but wondering if anyone lease has connected this with a lightening strike event. 

I intend on including this on my insurance claim and if others have had this experience it would more solidly validate my claim.

Matay

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 45 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2013
Re: Panel 301 - getting hot after nearby lightening strike
« Reply #1 on: October 02 2021, 03:30 »
I hade a lightning close to the boat when I was moored in a marina.
I had similar issue even worse.
When I came to the boat without notiving the incident, when I put the electricity on, I noticed that panel lights showing "on" items were not as I left the boat. I tried to push the ones that I wanted to close with no success. I opened the back of the panel to check the fuses. At that moment I noticed a recent small fire on an electronic component. I immediately estinguished it immediately by blowing and cut all the electricity.
My advice: you have fire risk. Shut down the electricity and change the panel at what cost (I hope insurance pays; they paid mine)

mgelpi

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Panel 301 - getting hot after nearby lightening strike
« Reply #2 on: October 02 2021, 07:21 »
Thank you very much for your response.  This confirms my fear of a fire hazard.  While on the outside of the panel a few of the buttons just feel warm, on the inside there are two areas that are too hot to touch.  Your incident also confirms them direct correlation with the nearby lightening strike. 

Thanks again!