Author Topic: Bavaria 33 Cruiser: heel to starboard & stern heavy  (Read 9683 times)

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bavaria 33 Cruiser: heel to starboard & stern heavy
« on: November 04 2011, 21:24 »
I'm just wondering if anyone out there also has a Bavaria 33 that has the tendency to heel starboard.
It also seems to be a bit stern heavy as well.
Everything is already as reorganized at best to balance.

Would anyone recommend to change its 2-blade prop with a 3 blade non-folding prop? Wondering if I can get a bit more speed during motor sailing with a 3 blade prop. (Engine is a D1-30).
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

AndyPandy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: Bavaria 33 Cruiser - General Queries
« Reply #1 on: November 20 2011, 11:49 »
Hi Crystal,

we have the same boat as you and yes it does heel to starboard. I have half full fuel and full water and it is just about level. We have 3 batteries which i blame for this, also cockpit locker contains 2 bikes and a beer fridge lol.

Our engine is a 30 aswell and i find it ok with the 2 blade prop. Payback i think is less drag when sailing.

All in all we are very happy with ours, hope you enjoy too

Andy

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: November 21 2011, 17:44 »
Thanks Andy, looks like I'm not alone. I'm thinking of countering the weight with multiple 10L water tanks under the port couch. I've also noticed that it's also stern heavy - so a bit of spare Chain in the anchor locker to pivot it forward. Hope this should take care of the balance.

What's your cruising speed while only motoring at 2000 rpm? Also keen to find out if you've done any major repairs on the Engine / Boat?

Thanks,
Hratch
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

AndyPandy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33 cruiser
« Reply #3 on: November 21 2011, 20:45 »
Hratch,
We get about 6 knots at 2000 revs and yes we too are stern heavy. I also try to pack anchor locker with anything heavy, spare fuel etc.

I haven't touched the engine other than service stuff and nothing major to the boat reaaly. The fuel feed pipe from the tank was leaking and sucking in air. Blocked toilet is as serious as it gets, touch wood lol

Hope this helps mate,

Andy

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: November 23 2011, 20:39 »
Cheers Andy,

that's good to know that both boats are behaving generally the same way.
I'm still thinking of replacing the prop with a 3 blade and keep the 2 blade as spare. Only Eur300 original from Volvo - so I'll let u know next Spring.

R,
Hratch
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Cdogg

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30C
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 29 2011, 11:05 »
Just noticed your post re listing to starboard. I posted this question in 'another' forum and got lots of replies from others with B30s and some other makes. All have a list to starboard which they put down to loaded weight distribution. It does bug me and I intend to try some added ballast (perhaps spare anchor chain) under the port side saloon couch. All seem to sit stern low as well.

peter gibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #6 on: December 08 2011, 22:33 »
Thanks Andy, looks like I'm not alone. I'm thinking of countering the weight with multiple 10L water tanks under the port couch. I've also noticed that it's also stern heavy - so a bit of spare Chain in the anchor locker to pivot it forward. Hope this should take care of the balance.

What's your cruising speed while only motoring at 2000 rpm? Also keen to find out if you've done any major repairs on the Engine / Boat?

Thanks,
Hratch

You say stern heavy - is this the same as the stern squat you get when under power / way? When really gunning the engine I can put my stern quite a way down in the sea - this is perfectly normal I think and requires no offsetting action.

Most boats sail better on one tack - ie closer to the wind, for a variety of reasons. I reckon it would not be worth my while to so arrange loads to even this up, I just work with it.

PWG

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: December 10 2011, 19:07 »
Thanks Peter,

After another rethink, I agree with you regarding the Stern Squat. nothing needed for that. But, Starboard heel of few degrees is quiet annoying. I'll now need to take the antifouling higher up to the blue stripe if not height to keep the hull clean.

Hratch
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Sjn

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 33
Re: Re: Bavaria 33 Cruiser - General Queries
« Reply #8 on: January 20 2016, 17:38 »
I'm just wondering if anyone out there also has a Bavaria 33 that has the tendency to heel starboard.
It also seems to be a bit stern heavy as well.
Everything is already as reorganized at best to balance.

Would anyone recommend to change its 2-blade prop with a 3 blade non-folding prop? Wondering if I can get a bit more speed during motor sailing with a 3 blade prop. (Engine is a D1-30).

About the heel to starboard i moved my batteri to the port side 2x140 AH  and the heel was reduce to accept. heel

sidtowe

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 33 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Re: Re: Bavaria 33 Cruiser - General Queries
« Reply #9 on: February 15 2016, 19:38 »
Hello,
My 33 heels slightly to port which I have put down to my liferaft in the cockpit locker.  I have filled a couple of waterproof bags (neck seal type) with sand and have stuck them in the lockers on starboard side - the same method could be used for a heel to the other side.  The boat's attitude changes according to fuel level and I can move a bag to a central position when she is completely topped up.
Happy sailing
sidtowe
Sidney Towe

borvaprops

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 33
Re: Bavaria 33 Cruiser: heel to starboard & stern heavy
« Reply #10 on: August 26 2021, 10:36 »
We just bought a 33 from 2006 and also noted the listing to STB.  I have now already removed all the batteries from the STB settee and relocating them to the port settee

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #11 on: August 28 2021, 06:45 »
Our boat has some lead blocks added to the port side behind the settee backs.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
« Reply #12 on: August 29 2021, 10:50 »
we have the same, d1-30 2 blade prop. previous owner had countered the lean by moving house battery's to under port side seats, and adding 4x 20 ltr water containers in the front storage under the bunk, so with water and fuel full its fairly level. the water containers have about 15% antifreeze in so no problems over winter. also could be used with fresh water to increase capacity if wanted.

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #13 on: September 01 2021, 09:18 »
I believe the heel issue is well covered , but ref. the change to a fixed 3 blade prop, I gained a 20-25% performance increase by removing the fixed 3 blade for a feathering prop. I'd reluctant to fit a fixed 3 blade prop.

Stockie

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: September 09 2021, 07:27 »
My 37 from the same era has the stern squat, I relocated some heavy stuff more centrally and forward to little avail.  In the end I painted the AF up to the top of the boot topping.
Much better after a few months in the water, no unsightly gung around the water line at the stern now.

Cheers Richard