Author Topic: Webasto Airtop Fault code F8  (Read 1499 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Webasto Airtop Fault code F8
« on: August 11 2021, 11:48 »
When I took delivery of my 2002 year Bavaria32 in July 2019 the Diesel heating system was not functioning.

I have just investigated this and found that one wire (Red) to the 4 pin connector on the heater control unit was fractured.   I carefully soldered the wire back to its terminal and things started to happen.   The green light on the panel lit up when the heater control knob was turned (which I found switches on the heater)   The light flashed about five times flowed by 8 pulses of the light.

Being aware of fault codes on equipment, I did a Google search and found that fault code 8 indicated that there was a fault in the heater fan part of the system.

Upon considering this, although the lazarette where the heater is installed is dry, it could be a siezed bearing on the fan motor or maybe an electrical fault in the heater connections.   The boat was up for sale for around five years before I made the purchase and laid up in a boat yard and with my knowledge of boats left unused for long periods being 'bad news!' I thought corrosion could be  the cause?

The general heater installation looks good and I would think it was done prior to delivery from new.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated please.

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Webasto Airtop Fault code F8
« Reply #1 on: August 11 2021, 14:54 »
If you don't have any responses here I'd recommend posting it to the YBW Forum as there are lots of diesel heater experts:

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?forums/practical-boat-owners-reader-to-reader.13/

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 11 2021, 15:19 »
They're fairly simple units mechanically.  You need to take it out and strip it down a bit to see whether the motor is seized, you can download a workshop manual from the excellent Butler Technik website - https://www.butlertechnik.com/technical_library/air-heaters-d6

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: August 11 2021, 17:48 »
Thankyou for the information regarding thhe YBW forum Catlotion.

Also Tiger 79 for the information on Butler.

Much appreciated.

Chris J R.