Author Topic: Incomplete Jib Furling - Bavaria 42  (Read 3025 times)

Michtsui

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Incomplete Jib Furling - Bavaria 42
« on: July 22 2021, 09:47 »
Hi all

This question may not be specific to Bavaria but general question.

As usual, my jib is attached to a furling drum at the bottom of the jib and there is a furling sheet attached to the drum and to the port side of the cockpit.

When I want to furl up the jib sail, I just pull out the furling sheet rolled inside the drum. It works fine until one day, I have pulled out most part of the furling sheet but still have always 2-3 feet of jib sail remained unfurled.

Could someone teach me how to fix? Thanks.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Incomplete Jib Furling - Bavaria 42
« Reply #1 on: July 23 2021, 21:28 »
Add more turns of line on the furling drum. Either by dropping the sail and winding it onto the drum (you can turn the foil manually), or by undoing the furling line from the back of the boat and feeing the line around the drum.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: July 25 2021, 14:04 »
This is a fairly common problem.  It is more likely to happen if you roll the jib up very tight, requiring more turns than usual.  Rolling up the jib in high winds, especially if you use a winch on the furling line, will do this. 

If you wait until you get back to the dock or in lesser winds, unwind the jib and roll it back up again.  A slightly looser roll will leave you with some furling line left.  And as Yngmar said, adding a couple of turns to the drum will fix it too.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

dgmultimedia

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: August 02 2021, 09:58 »
easy fix ( as long as the furling line is long enough )  remove the Jib Sheets, roll the sail manually around the foil to complete the wrap without moving the drum then roll the whole assembly to wind on more furling rope onto the drum - you should have enough to fully furl the sail AND wrap the sheets around at least once - re-attach sheets.

Michtsui

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 05 2021, 04:50 »
Thanks guys

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: August 12 2021, 03:42 »
Hi all

When I want to furl up the jib sail, I just pull out the furling sheet rolled inside the drum. It works fine until one day, I have pulled out most part of the furling sheet but still have always 2-3 feet of jib sail remained unfurled.

When you say you have pulled out “most part” of the furling sheet, but still have 2 - 3 feet of jib sail remaining unfurled, do you mean that there is still a significant amount of the furling sheet, like perhaps a few more turns, that remain on the drum to be pulled out, but the jib is not fully furled and will not furl any more? If this is what is happening, it would point to a different problem where something is jamming the furling system and preventing that last part of the sail from being rolled up. Please advise, thanks.