Author Topic: Door handle removal  (Read 1828 times)

Phil Neville

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 2001
Door handle removal
« on: June 27 2021, 12:06 »
Hi All
I have a problem cabin door lock. I need to take the handles off to access the lock mechanism. However, I cannot see how to exactly remove the handles. There is no visible screw head to unscrew. It looks like it is a metal pin that I need to tap out. But maybe the screw head is worm away? Is this how to remove the door handle? 2001 Bavaria 31. Thank you. Phil in Cork

Phil Neville

• Swab
Re: Door handle removal
« Reply #1 on: June 27 2021, 12:12 »
Here is a photo of the ‘pin/screw’. Can I tap this out?

Phil Neville

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 27 2021, 12:16 »
This photo shows the problem. The lock is stuck. Even when I cab get the lock out it will become stuck again.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 27 2021, 13:02 »
These doors lock by raising the handle /lever from the other side. Maybe it is just in the locked position?   Geoff

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 27 2021, 15:33 »
Phil

It looks like the covers, if unscrewd. Will slide out over the handles. I am not 100% on these licks but typically those cover screws land on the locket or are Male/ female internally to the other side.

Apologies if I'm missing something here.

EW

I'd take all those screws out to see where that gets me.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: June 27 2021, 22:44 »
Ours are like these: https://www.svb24.com/en/bavaria-lock-with-door-handle-right-installation.html

You separate the handles by undoing a grubscrew and pulling them apart. Then you can undo the screws on the side and slide the cassette lock out of the door.

The photos in above link should help.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Phil Neville

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: June 28 2021, 12:05 »
Thank you.
I discovered that it is a metal pin that connects the door handles to the spindle bar. I tapped out this pin and was able to remove the door handles. By unscrewing all the visible the screws I was able to remove the lock.
The lock was stuck but became free when I re-centered the 'back spring arm' (my simple term) into its groove. I put everything back in place but the lock became stuck again. By trial and error I found a solution. It seems very strange but the solution has been not to replace one of the male/female door cover doors screws as it is interfering with the 'back spring arm' causing the lock to jam!
Thanks again.
Phil

Phil Neville

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: June 28 2021, 12:06 »
Thanks to the other replies too!

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #8 on: June 29 2021, 10:51 »
Sometimes less is more ;)

Well done. 

Thank you.
I discovered that it is a metal pin that connects the door handles to the spindle bar. I tapped out this pin and was able to remove the door handles. By unscrewing all the visible the screws I was able to remove the lock.
The lock was stuck but became free when I re-centered the 'back spring arm' (my simple term) into its groove. I put everything back in place but the lock became stuck again. By trial and error I found a solution. It seems very strange but the solution has been not to replace one of the male/female door cover doors screws as it is interfering with the 'back spring arm' causing the lock to jam!
Thanks again.
Phil