Author Topic: saildrive anode wear  (Read 1874 times)

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
saildrive anode wear
« on: June 24 2021, 14:39 »
The anode on my 120se saildrive only just lasts the year out between changes ,I have a galvanic isolator and the boat is rarely in marinas. I also have a peardrop  shape anode fitted from new attached to the engine, it has  eroded  VERY little . My feeling is to sever the engine connection and reconnect to the saildrive, the anode is close to the saildrive just aft of it . Any thoughts out there ?? Geoff

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: saildrive anode wear
« Reply #1 on: June 24 2021, 18:37 »
The pear anode is doing nothing as there is nothing in the engine to protect. You could connect it to the saildrive using one of the bolts aft of the engine gearbox interface. However, it will not reduce the wear on the saildrive because that is closer - in fact in direct contact with the saildrive under water so will wear first. The pear anode may take over after the saildrive anode is gone.

Worth a try.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 26 2021, 12:28 »
Geoff, What do you use on your propeller for antifouling, it could be the exposed area of the propeller that is causing the anode to be consumed so rapidly.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 26 2021, 14:48 »
It is a Kiwiprop , so plastic blades and s/s hub. Geoff

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 26 2021, 16:53 »
Geoff, What do you use on your propeller for antifouling, it could be the exposed area of the propeller that is causing the anode to be consumed so rapidly.

There is no connection between the propeller and the saildrive - they are electrically isolated. However coating the blades and hub of a folding or feathering propeller can reduce erosion of the propeller anodes. The blades on mine are coated with Velox, an excellent and long lasting antifoul, although the Flexofold prop does not have anodes.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: June 26 2021, 20:39 »
Our saildrive is completely painted as is our fixed aluminium prop including the cone and our anode is usually around 50% gone every 2 years, at which point we usually haul out and replace it. I think the paint makes a big difference.

We don't have a galvanic isolator (and spend 6-7 months plugged into shorepower).
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Propeller anode wear
« Reply #6 on: June 26 2021, 22:18 »
On Pea Jay I have a VP 3 blade unpainted folding propeller. I’m marina based all year except when on the hard and always plugged into shore supply. The main anode lasts a good 4 years while the 3 piece propeller anode rarely lasts a year. I usually get a thin smooth-ish growth over the blades and hub that don’t seem to loose me much power but I’m considering clear epoxy coating the propeller plus Velox AF ( I do not wish to ruin the propeller finish. Any thoughts regarding how well epoxy might bond with the bronze propeller material? Has anyone had successful results using some other super sticky product like Gelshield?

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 26 2021, 23:39 »
Don't think epoxy will work. If you are going to use Velox the use their primer (although some have claimed success with Hammerite Special Metal Primer as well) and follow the instructions here antifoulingpaint.net/applyingvelox.html. As you will see it requires careful preparation of the bronze. Can't see why you are worried about maintaining the finish of the prop - the fish don't care!. If you ever want to get back to the shiny bronze, just remove the paint and buff it up.