Author Topic: Air intake  (Read 1446 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Air intake
« on: March 16 2021, 15:21 »
Somone asked me about this filter so thought I would post my fix for it, been fixed for 7 years and 3  months now.
You can buy the material from the appropriate  foam dealers and cut it to shape and sew it up.
Easy.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Air intake
« Reply #1 on: March 17 2021, 04:47 »
Great idea!
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: March 20 2021, 21:48 »
I am thinking about switching to a K&N air filter, either the RD-0700 or the RD-0710.  The first one is 4" long, the other is 5" long.  Need to figure out which one will fit in the space available.  Clean air is always better.  The foam filters disintegrate after a while.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 20 2021, 22:56 »
There really is very little need for an air filter on a yacht engine - where will the dirt come from?  Main reason for having one is to reduce noise from the air intake - and the foam ones do very little for this. Very different from an automotive application , but even then noise suppression is more important than filtering air unless you habitually drive in a dusty environment.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: March 21 2021, 11:31 »
Agree with Symphony. The MD22 just has a very coarse steel mesh (fine enough to keep a wasp out) at the air intake by design and is absolutely fine with that. Air filters on engines are to prevent abrasive particles from entering the cylinders, where they could cause wear. Fairly easy to pick those up on a car driving at high speed over various dirty surfaces (sand, asphalt, small stones, perhaps even metal dust from somewhere). Not a lot of that in our engine room, which doesn't travel at high speed and the air has to find a fairly convoluted path from intakes under the sprayhood down some fibreglass channels and to the engine - at worst we might get a bit of household dust from clothing or pollen, neither of which are very abrasive.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)