Author Topic: Creaking door frames  (Read 909 times)

Sandyb

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 42 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
Creaking door frames
« on: June 14 2023, 10:12 »
The door frames in my 2005 Bav 42 creek very loudly when ever the boat is in rolling condition.
How does one remove the frame to ease the friction causing the noise.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Creaking door frames
« Reply #1 on: June 15 2023, 09:07 »
On my boat the door frames are held in place by a brown rubber profile around the frame. They are creeking too. I tried to apply a little soap, rubbed around on the wooden frame after removing the profile, but no success. It's a bavaria... If you find one without creeking, please tell me ;D

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 16 2023, 05:17 »
I had I think a similar situation , the plastic ceiling while rolling was rubbing for few mm against the wooden frame . I removed the white style gum , applied glass stripes (thin , the ones used for surfboard repairs ) with polyester  to bond the frame with the ceiling , then out white sikaflex to cover the joint. I m sailing everyday the last 2 months with no sounds ?

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 17 2023, 15:21 »
Remove the brown plastic strip. Remove the door. Behind each hinge is a screw, and there is also a screw inside the lock plate hole.  This is all that holds the frame.

When they are fitted, Bavaria put silicone in between the bulkhead and the frame to stop it creaking, but over time....

The only real permanent cure is to get rid of all the silicone and then epoxy the frame in place.  That is what I have done and I don't have any more creaking from them.