Author Topic: Cabin LED spot lights  (Read 4235 times)

Craneman

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2011
Cabin LED spot lights
« on: December 03 2020, 19:55 »
I'm looking to replace a couple of the cabin LED spot lights in my 2011 36 Cruiser.I've seen then on the SVB web site, but they are expensive . Has anyone been able to simply replace the led portion of the light.

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Cabin LED spot lights
« Reply #1 on: December 03 2020, 22:11 »
Yes, I did. I replaced the bulbs with cheap ones from China.  They work well since 3 years. I'm not sure but I think they can stand up to 16 volts There are some as spare but all on the boat, sorry.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #2 on: December 04 2020, 13:34 »
I changed all of mine 4 years ago, works well, look on EBay.
Odysseus
Odysseus

Craneman

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 04 2020, 18:07 »
Thanks for reply Odysseus. I'm currently looking into changing the LED disk inside the original fixture to a 2W  G4 . This way the i can simply purchase replacements on Amazon or ebay ,at a fraction of he cost of replaceing the fixture.Thanks

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: December 07 2020, 07:27 »
I replaced some of the bulbs with LED replacement, however my impression is that they provide slightly less light (very marginal). However mine are about 5 years old - maybe current LED replacements are brighter.
I recently replaced one of the fixtures with a LED fixture (bought something at a caravan/camping supply shop in Italy) and it provides better light than the original - now I plan on replacing all in the main cabin (waiting for my next work trip to Italy).
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

AFRiCA

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 42 ft Racer/Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: December 08 2020, 03:18 »
I have been looking on the Web for the LED Cabin lights in the attached photo by Odysseus but have been unsuccessful, if anyone has a link, please post.

amikeren

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2002

Zavaria

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: December 16 2020, 10:42 »
I had a lamp with several of these little lights. I ended up replacing the whole lamp because replacing the lamps would have been more expensive than a new lamp.
But that was a few years ago. The prices for the small lights have certainly gone down. I also didn't look at the Chinese pages back then.

Craneman

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: January 31 2021, 21:25 »
The closest I've found is Dream lighting on Amazon, these are nearly identical except they do not have the holder clips.

reystos

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #9 on: February 16 2021, 20:53 »
I replaced the original halogen lamps with these LED sets. They fit right into the original compartment and with a little bit of fiddling, they stay in. It was easy to connect them to the existing wiring in the cabin. They are of much lower power consumption and shine very bright at night. Once installed, do not rotate as the original ones did. Using the same wiring, I got USB adapters/chargers to fit right next to each light, just for the sake of convenience for cabin occupants.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-12V-Recessed-LED-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat-Spot-Lights-Downlights-Warm-White-/254277576802?hash=item3b341fe862

Markus

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: February 17 2021, 05:46 »
I replaced the original halogen lamps with these LED sets. They fit right into the original compartment and with a little bit of fiddling, they stay in. It was easy to connect them to the existing wiring in the cabin. They are of much lower power consumption and shine very bright at night. Once installed, do not rotate as the original ones did. Using the same wiring, I got USB adapters/chargers to fit right next to each light, just for the sake of convenience for cabin occupants.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-12V-Recessed-LED-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat-Spot-Lights-Downlights-Warm-White-/254277576802?hash=item3b341fe862

How did you handle the on/off switches, I think these do not have them built-in?

reystos

• Second Mate
« Reply #11 on: February 18 2021, 04:16 »
The stock light fixtures divide into the inner element, that you remove with a flat screw driver. Then replace with the LEDs, and the outer housing that stays onto the boat.
These LED lights fit right into the fixture. So you get to keep the original mount and the switch.

In retrospect, it would have looked nicer if I had the mounts rechromed, they are easy to remove.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #12 on: February 18 2021, 09:50 »
Use WD40 and baking aluminium file it, will come up like new.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

reystos

• Second Mate
« Reply #13 on: April 09 2022, 21:12 »
The LED cabin lights have been working great for the past year. Here is more information on the type in case you wish to find them. It seems like the original ebay listing has disappeared, but they can still be found online.