Author Topic: One for the experts -any idea what this is?  (Read 2076 times)

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
One for the experts -any idea what this is?
« on: November 30 2020, 23:41 »
Avalon is a 1999 B36 Holiday. I was digging around in the 'secret lazarette' space today to try and see how feasible it would be to install a linear or rotary autopilot drive to replace my aging wheel pilot and I found this strange bracket bolted to the underside of the cockpit sole, below the lift up helm seat and just aft of the rudder post.

I am sure it was factory fit as the four bolts are cross head machine screws and the heads were concealed with plugs in the original teak deck, which I only noticed when I pulled up the deck earlier this year to replace it with artificial teak.

Anyone know what it is?

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: One for the experts -any idea what this is?
« Reply #1 on: December 01 2020, 13:59 »
It looks like the hard stop on my steering quadrant.  Put you helm hard over and take another look.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: December 01 2020, 14:49 »
Hi. Your photo seems to show a Raymarine/Autohelm type rudder position sensor in the top of the picture, I didn't think wheel pilots needed one.
I'm wondering if your boat was previously fitted with a linear type autopilot, if so, then installation may be quite straightforward.....Bill.

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 01 2020, 19:24 »
hi ,ours has the black angle sensor arm set up and its  a wheel pilot type, 2006 bav33 cruiser, raymarine steering.

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: December 01 2020, 23:40 »
Thanks for the replies.

Now I think about it I suspect HappyAfloat will win the prize, as it would explain the marks each side, one of which is just visible in the photo. Will check it as suggested next time I am on the boat.

As for the rudder indicator, I believe this is not uncommon on a wheel pilot  as i know of several other boats with the same set up

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: December 02 2020, 09:11 »
As for the rudder indicator, I believe this is not uncommon on a wheel pilot  as i know of several other boats with the same set up

Yes, you are right. I fitted a new wheel pilot in 2012 to my B36(2002), and the rudder indicator was an optional extra. As the wheel pilot worked fine without a rudder indicator, and I could see from the position of the wheel where the rudder was anyway, I opted not to fit a rudder indicator. I did later buy a rudder indicator transducer, but never got around to fitting it. Having recently sold the boat, I now have a rudder indicator transducer sitting on the shelf waiting for a good home to go to 🤪🤪