Author Topic: Questions about a 2004 Bavaria 36  (Read 11352 times)

ADP1

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Questions about a 2004 Bavaria 36
« on: May 15 2013, 17:14 »
I'm interested in purchasing a Bavaria 36 which would be my first boat.

The draft is 6' 6" (so the owner says) and the keel is lead

Here are some questions I have;

- have there been any problems with that year's keels and bolts?

- rumor on the web is that certain Bavaria Matches lost their keels (rumors are often not based in fact)

- is the Bavaria 36 classified as a "blue-water" cruiser?" (yes, I understand the nature of definitions of the term "blue water cruiser")

- what are the typical problems the aforementioned year suffer from?

- what price should I expect to pay for a boat of that age?

Any opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcomed. Let me know what you think.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Questions about a 2004 Bavaria 36
« Reply #1 on: May 15 2013, 23:36 »
When you buy any used boat, assume you are intending to get a good survey done - worth paying for the best which could include checking the keel security.   Regarding Keels falling off, there are some fact surrounding this, but there is far more nonsense and invention.  Have a look on ybw forums and do a search on Bavaria keels - there is a fair bit about it.  It is worth reading all the posts though and you will begin to pick up some genuine facts.  In truth, keels have come many different makes of sailing boat over the years in many different circumstances, not just Bav.  In the case of Bavaria, the anti-AWB lot enjoy using it as an ongoing worn out joke, regardless of facts!

ADP1

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: May 16 2013, 01:30 »
Yes, I figured I'd get a boat survey done. But like many home inspectors in the US which ones are good? Some guy that has a bunch of 3 letter initials at the end of his name? I'm not impressed. Now when he pulls out his portable x-ray machine! Ah, NOW I'm impressed!

It'll all work out well, probably.

As to your comments- I don't understand what you're talking about.

What are YBW forums?

I've already searched for the issue of Bavaria keels over the web which led me to the questions I asked.

No idea what the following mean;

"In truth, keels have come many different makes of sailing boat...."

"In the case of Bavaria, the anti-AWB lot enjoy..."

Would you please clarify these points?

Thank you.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 16 2013, 09:25 »
Ignore the keel thing. It was a specific problem on a Match35 years ago.  I don't think there are any instances of one falling off a 36 other than maybe after a hard grounding.

The 36 from that era is an absolutely fine boat. Don't know where you are, but if you want to talk to someone who really knows Bavs inside-out, talk to Andrew Thomson at Horizon in Anapolis.  He sells them but also runs a charter company in the Caribbbean and has had many 36's.

Good luck

Bob

ADP1

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: May 16 2013, 11:13 »
Ok. Thank you for the clear comments.

As to any boat, or anything that ends up in the water (especially salty water) there is going to be some sort of degradation. What still surprises me is that boat makers will put anything made of aluminum under water (saildrive for example).

I'll let you know how everything turns out.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 16 2013, 11:26 »
I agree with you on the saildrives. I don't like them either.

Trapeze Artist

• First Mate
    • Little Hotels
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #6 on: May 16 2013, 22:26 »
As to any boat, or anything that ends up in the water (especially salty water) there is going to be some sort of degradation. What still surprises me is that boat makers will put anything made of aluminum under water (saildrive for example).

I think your first sentence answers your second one. Everything degrades. Aluminium saildrives are no worse than anything else.

Someone once showed me a leaflet he picked up in France saying how long various materials last when on the bottom of the sea. I think it quoted 600 years for aluminium drinks cans! Of course that was an environmental leaflet intended to scare us into not dropping rubbish in the water (which we don't, do we?), but really there is a good reason why boats are made of grp, aluminium and stainless steel.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 16 2013, 23:02 »
The Bav 36 is exactly what it claims to be - a family cruiser built to production line standard. Nothing fancy. Thousands of the design (or similar) are in use all over the world as private and charter boats. The keel thing is not connected to the J&J design boats like the 36 but to a small number of Peterson designed Cruiser Racers, all of which will now have been modified anyway.

Would not be a first choice for "bluewater" if by that you mean take on anything, round the Capes etc and happy in storm conditions. However many have crossed oceans and served as long term liveaboards for cruising yachtsmen.

Saildrives are not a big problem. Again tens of thousands in use over the last 35 years. Corrosion not an issue if you replace the anode before it erodes fully. No more trouble than standard sterngear, although probably (no definitely) more expensive in the rare case of failure. Advantage it is much smoother and quieter, the installation in the Bavaria is very neat and it provides good handling under power.

If it is the type of boat you are looking for it is at least as good as the competitors (Beneteau, Jeanneau and Hanse) and in many ways better. All the gear comes from mainstream well known suppliers and the boat is well put together so repairs and maintenance are easy.

My comments are based on my experience of buying a new 37 and using it as a charter boat for 7 years in the Med. Virtually nothing major has needed any attention with the exception of the windlass, one tank and unfortunately the saildrive suffering from ham fisted charterers after 3500 hours.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 16 2013, 23:33 »
http://www.ybw.com/forums  They are in Google.  But, as has I said and others have said, the keel thing mainly nonsense.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #9 on: May 17 2013, 06:35 »
We have a Bav36 2004 and are very happy with her for the type of crusing we do - predominantly inland waterways and some coastal. Could she cross oceans - well yes, but would not be my first choice if that was what I was planning to do a lot of. Every boat is a compromise to some extent - for a 37 foot boat one gets a very roomy, comfortable boat with high freeboard making for a dry experience on deck. However she is relatively light dispalcement for a cruising yacht of that length and hence can be a bit skittish in a blow. You need to start reefing early.

Based on my experience to date, things to look out for if you are contemplating a purchase of a Bav36 would include;
* rudder bearings getting tight - the material is hydroscopic!!
* rudder bearing housing corroding - aluminium around a stainless shaft, in the presence of copper antifouling all emersed in sea water - just asking for trouble!
* corrosion of the base of the anchor windlass - the windlass is installed on a rubber mat under the aluminium base that forms a perfect gutter around the base to collect sea water. Remove the rubber mat!
* engine exhaust system corrosion - the usual risk area where sea water is injected into the exhaust and also the muffler tube that has stainless ends. Exhaust+stainless+sea water=corrosion.
* leak where the fwd running light power lead goes through the deck inside the port rear leg of the pulpit - no sealant! Took me a while to find this one, and not before the backing board of the fwd cabin headlining had rotted away.
* gel coat cracking a round base of stantions.

Hope the above helps in terms of what to pay particular attention to to avoid a nasty surprise.

Modifications that I have made to what was proabably close to the standard sailaway yacht include;
* additional battery capacity (300AHrs of house capacity)
* smart regulator
* smart charger for charging from shore
* battery monitor
* third reef in main (definitely recommend if you are expecting to be sailing in 30knts or more)
* plumbed in gas BBQ on pushpit
* remote mic for VHF in cockpit
* sound system and digital TV
* all lights relplaced with LEDs
* bimini and dodger
* boom bag and lazy jacks
* roll up inflatable dinghy that stoys in cocpit locker (I have the two cabin version that has an enormous lazerette)
* chartplotter (although now becoming redundant as ipad takes over) and auto pilot.
* hinged door installed under fwd bunk to allow easier access to storage.
* electric head

Sweet As
Bav 36

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #10 on: March 29 2014, 18:05 »
If you are buying a boat, first and foremost get a really good surveyor. The problem is how to decide which one is a good surveyor. When I bought my first boat I asked around and various people said that one guy was very pernickety, to the point of being a pain in butt. Several said this guy had cost them the sale of a boat they were selling, so he sounded like the guy I was after. Take a look at his reports from surveys he has done on other peoples boats and don't be put off by someone who gripes about client confidentiality, they can easily blank out names and other identifying details. Look to see whether the report contains meaty comments rather than bland wishy washy statements, and look to see that his remarks are serious and to the point. Who you need is someone who tells things as they are and has photos to back up his comments. The second surveyor I had when I bought my present boat was a total waste of time and a waste of my money. Fortunately by then, and with a long maritime career to help I was able to kick his report into touch. Ask around other boat owners who they would recommend and be guided by them.