Author Topic: Anchor electric winch assembling on a Bavaria 32 cruiser  (Read 2421 times)

32Karat_magic

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32c
  • Boat Year: 2010
Dear Bavaria Owners,

I have a Bavaria 32 cruiser (2010), I would like to assembling an electric anchor winch. I bought the original type winch for this boat, but as you see in the pictures there is a missing part at my anchor locker which needs to be underneath the winch. I think this cut originally, and I'm planning to rebuild this missing platform. What do you think? Which would be the best solution? What type of epoxy used by the manufacturer, I think it was polyester? Or should I use a strong stainless steel back in plate?
Thank you for your advise.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Anchor electric winch assembling on a Bavaria 32 cruiser
« Reply #1 on: December 04 2022, 18:10 »
Wow …who on earth did that ? The previous owner ?

32Karat_magic

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: December 04 2022, 18:58 »
She has only one previous owner, and he said when he ordered, he did not ordered the electric winch, and then received the boat like this.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: December 04 2022, 19:46 »
The access is so poor it's virtually impossible to restore the original shelf. I don't see how you could effectively reach the underside of the shelf to lay up fibreglass, which is essential for strength. So you'll probably have to come up with a different solution.

Perhaps something that bolts into the area, after reinforcing the sides a bit (with epoxy + fibreglass, finished with flowcoat or paint). A removable shelf. It's much easier to tighten a few bolts than lay up fibreglass around a hidden corner. The windlass can be mounted on that then.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 04 2022, 20:44 »
I cannot belive that Bavaria cut that important part of deck mould. One could mount windlass after...
I think older owner do this for best access to the anchor loker.
And he has shame to tell you....

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: December 06 2022, 17:02 »
No, my 37cr had the same partially missing shelf from the factory. The first owner ordered nearly everything , but not the anchor winch.

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014

32Karat_magic

• Swab
« Reply #9 on: December 06 2022, 19:08 »
Thank you for all answer. This video was very good for me to get some experience for installing the windlass in spring time.
Unfortunately I would like to install the original one Quick Genius G1000, which has a different assembling position than in the video.
So I have to spare with space above the windlass, if I place a thicker back in plate underneath the windlass it may not fit under the cover.
I need a solid solution the rebuild the missing part of the shelf.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #10 on: December 11 2022, 15:38 »
If you decide to put a metal plate, I definitely recommend that it be aluminum. On my boat, the mechanic put two stainless steel plates, one above and one below the fiberglass. I think that due to galvanic currents, my windlass housing corroded which is made of aluminium and the chain corroded a lot.

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #11 on: December 27 2022, 03:42 »
I have the same project going on on my 38 Ocean.  The original  SL Sprint 1000 died after 23 years of use.  I replaced it with a Lewmar V1 (based on the Sprint 1000-supposedly a direct replacement).  There are two differences between the old and the new.  One, the mounting bolts are directly around the under deck motor on the V1 vs.around the perimeter on the Sprint and the new up/down solenoid has a three wire control). 

To solve these issues I grabbed a scrap of 1/8 inch 316L stainless plate at work, downloaded the cut diagram from Lewmar, and made a big, under deck mounting plate using our waterjet cutter.  The original solenoid controller was directly behind the 12V distribution panel in the nav station.  I jumpered the 1/0 wires to get them to continue to the bow, added a breaker, replacing the hard fuse that was on the original.

From the photos you can see the outline of the original windlass with its wide mounting bolts in redtgreen sharpie, and the new 316L plate with close in mounting bolts.  The plate will be secured to the deck from the underside, secured in the dry, fwd lazzerette (behind anchor locker) above the new motor.  The new solenoid will be bulkhead mounted in the same dry laz next to the motor.

I learned when the old one failed that the manual retrieval gypsy is a $250US option.  That will be on the new one.

One more tip, search youtube for your windlass model.  Other installers will no doubt have helpful tips.