Author Topic: removing damaged port light screws Bav 32 2002  (Read 1432 times)

filban

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
removing damaged port light screws Bav 32 2002
« on: August 30 2020, 17:03 »
replacing crazed port light acrylics I have come across the screw holding one of the bottom catches is corroded where there may have been a problem before

I think the stainless steel(or whatever it is) screw has reacted with the aluminium port light subframe and stuck together

there are plenty of options available but I wondered if anyone has overcome this specific problem; I do not want to twist or damage the subframe

the difference a clear portlight makes to the view outside and light in the boat is amazing

thanks

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
Re: removing damaged port light screws Bav 32 2002
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2020, 21:53 »
Crikey, i had the same problem when I did one of my windows. Thankfully mine eventually came out.

I would try and part the screw using heat to start with. If you get a soldering iron on it and heat it up, and then cool it down quickly that could help break the galling. You could also try a punch on it or impact driver. As you say, you don't want to damage the frame. To get the purchase on it you need I'd cut a slot in it with a Dremel, get out my socket set and proceed very, very carefully.

Maddening when such a simple job turns into something so involved. Good luck!

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 01 2020, 07:57 »
An impact driver will shift it, but don't go too mad with the hammer. You don't want to crack the gelcoat.

filban

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 32
« Reply #3 on: September 06 2020, 16:50 »
Thanks for all the suggestions

Best solution for me was cut a new slot with a resin slitting disc in a mini drill, saturate with WD40 and unscrew using a long screwdriver

It was only some of screws holding the bottom clasp Aluminium projections that were the problem

All done now !

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #4 on: September 07 2020, 06:40 »
Be aware that if you buy new Lewmar replacement portlights, that you will need also to buy a new fitting kit as well, because amongst other things the hinge pins now are made from 5mm stainless rather than the original 4mm and that the hinges and catches have also been changed. In consequence their new portlights will not fit without the new fitting kit..
I wrote an article in Modifications and Equipment about it a couple of years ago under “Crazed Portlights and Hatches.”  Or like me and some others we decided on a DIY approach and saved ourselves a fortune !!