Author Topic: Water in the bilge  (Read 3471 times)

Toto

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Water in the bilge
« on: September 02 2020, 19:00 »
Hello
Sorry I know there is lots of posts about it, I read tons of them but I can't find a solution to my problem.
Does anyone knows what path does the little hole under the stairs follows?
The water keeps coming through it, the next compartment is dry and then the big one where the kill is, is also getting water in.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Toto

• Swab
Re: Water in the bilge
« Reply #1 on: September 02 2020, 19:03 »
you can see here better

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 02 2020, 20:48 »
Check the outlet pipe from the calorifier.
Ours developed a drip that meant that water was slowly accumulating in the bilge.
The heat sometimes affects the outlet, so I simply cut a half inch off the end and re-attached hit.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: September 03 2020, 09:27 »
We also had a calorifier leak - the over pressure valve was the problem so leak only occurred when the engine running or immersion on and the system hot. Lay some kitchen towel papers around the valves and also check the discharge from the over pressure hose.
Other sources of fresh water leak are the deck shower fittings. Suggest you trace back all the plumbing hoses and check joints and connectors for any leak.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: September 04 2020, 08:03 »
Hi Toto, I can see from your profile that your boat is a Bavaria 36, but you dont say what year it was built. A little more information might help others to help you with your question.
I have, or rather had (sold it yesterday) a Bavaria 36 built in 2002, but it didnt have a hole such as you describe under the companionway steps, so this might be something that perhaps a previous owner had done, but there have been a couple design changes since my boat was built.

Markus

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: September 04 2020, 11:35 »
Is it just me or is someone else surprised to see white/grey bilge paint/topcoat? The holes also do not look like something made by the factory...

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 04 2020, 15:37 »
Salty are you staying with Bavaria’s???

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 05 2020, 07:09 »
Salty are you staying with Bavaria’s???

I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else Mike, though I have some problems which are making it difficult for me to continue such that this is probably the end of boating for me. I have enjoyed this community from whom I have learned a huge amount, and for which I thank you all.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 05 2020, 10:44 »
Thanks for all your excellent detailed contributions, have learned a lot from you. Hope you will continue to post.

Toto

• Swab
« Reply #9 on: September 07 2020, 11:32 »
Hi Toto, I can see from your profile that your boat is a Bavaria 36, but you dont say what year it was built. A little more information might help others to help you with your question.
I have, or rather had (sold it yesterday) a Bavaria 36 built in 2002, but it didnt have a hole such as you describe under the companionway steps, so this might be something that perhaps a previous owner had done, but there have been a couple design changes since my boat was built.
Hi
Sorry you are right, is a Bavaria 36 holiday, form 1997.
I am about to check something that I think it will help, I have the theory that the leak happens when I am filling the water tank, I think once the tank is full, if I leave the hose running, the water will start to leak into the bilge, I am not sure, but I will try to check that today, if that is the case at lease I will know were it comes from and from there will see.
Thank you

Toto

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: September 07 2020, 11:33 »
Thank you all for your replies!

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: September 08 2020, 13:53 »
Hi. I had a similar problem. Couldn't find the leak. Eventually found the transom shower had a slow drip that was running back down the shower pipe. Into the bilges. And eventually appearing at the lowest point. Found it by leaving the shower head out of its tube so it was on outside of boat. so the leak was outside. Also it took a few trips out to get the accumulated water to make its way to the sump through the various holes and channels. Might be worth a look in that direction.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 09 2020, 12:39 »
In the past I had a small leak from the filter next to the fresh water pump, if I remember right it was a transparent plastic thing that clipped together from two parts, and getting back together after checking it once to see that it was clean and free from sediment was a more q matter of luck as sometimes it just needed a bit more of a twist to stop an otherwise small leak. But that leakage had no access to the spaces immediately forward of where the pump was located, or to the spaces immediately forward of the engine compartment. Instead any water from that filter could access the nearby fore and aft box section which carried the water from there to the area immediately aft of the saloon table base from which it could then drain aft to the bilge pump area between the end of the galley area to port and the end of the chart table area to starboard.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
« Reply #13 on: October 03 2020, 18:17 »
Hi again Salty,

I would like to wish you all the very best for the future.   I hope you will keep watch on here.

I have found the forum most helpful and informative and your posts have assisted me quite a lot.

Many thanks.

Chris J R.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: October 03 2020, 20:11 »
Thanks Chris, today has been one of those days when I have particularly wished I still had my boat, so your words are greatly appreciated.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #15 on: October 04 2020, 09:57 »
I would like to confirm what Salty has posted, the twist on strainer on pump is subject to leaking when the pump reaches its max pressure it pulses and that's when you get a squirt of water out.
Check the strainer is locked in place, it turns clockwise.
You can put a different strainer on.

Odysseus
Bav 38

See photo.
Odysseus