Author Topic: Stuck winches  (Read 1177 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Stuck winches
« on: June 27 2023, 14:35 »
I have a problem with the winches, they are still working for now but I can't disassemble them to clean. The former owner only lubricated them but did not clean them.

These shafts should not be turning, but they are turning because it stuck to the gear because old lubrication fat. And I can't get the shaft out at all, I tried adding acetone, I tried heating it with a hot air blower, without success.

With a screwdriver, I tried to unscrew the screw with which the winch is screwed to the surface, without success, I have to try with a wrench or an impact screwdriver.

My question is even if I unscrew the screw, is the winch glued to the surface?

Do you have any advice.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Stuck winches
« Reply #1 on: June 27 2023, 15:08 »
You don't need to remove the body of the winch from the surface, all the components are simply removed.  You can download servicing instructions which will explain what to do.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 27 2023, 20:06 »
Dear Tiger,

as I said, shaft is seized, so I can not disassemble winch.

One idea is to separate the winch from the surface and knock out the shaft from the underside.

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 13 2023, 22:10 »
From your video, it looks like you are trying to remove the gear spindle for the ratchet and pawl mechanism.  This should just lift out, perhaps gently levering it upwards with a flat bladed screw driver as shown in the Lewmar manual.
https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/files/winch%20service%20manual%20b2304%20iss6.pdf

Salt or corrosion could have caused the spindle to stick to the gear so I’d try pouring hot, soapy water over it to remove salts and give some thermal expansion.  Penetrating oil applied and left for a day or longer could help.  If that doesn’t work then a gentle downwards tap on the spindle whilst supporting the gear upwards with a screw driver or two may separate the two parts.