Author Topic: Liferaft position on pushput?  (Read 2020 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Liferaft position on pushput?
« on: June 22 2020, 14:50 »
On Mirage her liferaft is located on the hatch garage. That space I'd like to use for either the dinghy or solar, and besides, I don't much like the idea of going up there in pitching seas, in the event I'd ever need the thing. On my old boat, I mounted the liferaft to the pushpit. Launching was as simple as removing the quick release pin, and kicking it off the stern (the painter already tied off).

My first observation is that on my old Ballad, the pushpit was completely bullet proof, it had no give in it at all. The Pushpit on Mirage I noted when I put my outboard on the bracket there has some 'waggle'. I didn't get a chance to investigate said 'waggle', some bolts may just have worked themself loose.

The liferaft cradle does come with the fittings to attach it to the pushpit, so that's a plus.

• Who else has their liferaft on their pushpit?
  • Do you mount it off to one side? On facing aft?
  • Does it require strengthening of the pushput? Or should I stop worrying about it and get on with it?

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Liferaft position on pushput?
« Reply #1 on: June 22 2020, 16:55 »
Most of them wobble a bit as they are mounted on rubber gaskets and single pins. Plus not joined right across. Your choice where you mount it as there is no "ideal" spot. On the aft face you need to clear the stern light. but I think also you will find it intrudes into the walk through. On the side it will probably stick out further than the maximum beam on that side making it vulnerable when coming alongside.

Personally I would leave it where it is for two reasons. First the only time you will ever need to access it is when you take it off to have it serviced and second if you really ever did need to use it adrenalin will make sure you get to it! You can always fit a hydrostatic release buckle if you are worried about whether it will deploy. One of the advantages of having a bigger boat like yours is that you do actually have the deck space to stow the raft on deck, although I appreciate there is competition for that space.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 22 2020, 17:39 »
Our B39 came with the life raft mounted on the push pit facing aft. We Quickly found it an obstruction and moved it to the garage hatch, as yours is now. That was 10 years ago - I’d leave yours where it is.
BTW a solar panel on the garage hatch will spend most of its time in shade.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 22 2020, 17:50 »
Perfect, that's one 'job' solved - I just won't start it then and I'll leave it where it is! Thanks for the advice and insight as ever.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 22 2020, 21:05 »
I found the hatch garage position really annoying, as it was obstructing the view forward through the glass windscreen and my partner would never be able to haul the massive 4-person Viking raft from there into the water, no matter how much adrenaline.

So it's currently on the aft deck (40 Ocean, so CC boat) and I will eventually put it on the transom, although that requires some modifications first as there's currently no space. Not on the corners where the pulpits are though, as that would be liable to catch on things.

The pulpit is plenty strong enough despite wobbling a bit, although I would replace the penny washers with proper backing plates. In fact I've done so, on account of ours carrying the entire stern arch, including when my corona bellied self is climbing on it (for cleaning) - which shows it's plenty strong! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 22 2020, 22:35 »
Given how impractical they are to deploy from a yacht it is a good thing that statistics show the chances of ever needing a liferaft are significantly smaller than even catching the coronavirus. Then you really don't want to look at the probability they will actually be effective even if deployed.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 23 2020, 08:37 »
You could always just put it in a cockpit locker

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 23 2020, 09:12 »
On my charter boat in the Ionian there was an 8 man liferaft in the locker that only ever came out for its annual service (250 euros minimum). Can't imagine how charterers would ever have deployed it. Legal requirement of course despite there only being one recorded case of deployment from a Greek charter boat. That case was a fire on a flotilla boat and although the raft was deployed it was not actually used because the crew were picked up by another boat.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 23 2020, 09:34 »
You could always just put it in a cockpit locker

Ah you see I would, however, that is stashed full of very important, critical sailing equipment.

• Fluorescent Buckets
  • Spades
  • Three fishing nets
  • Crabbing gear
  • Fishing rod with trawling gear for (failing) to catch mackerel
  • Boat beautifying gear
  • Scrubber
  • Scrubbis
  • Many boat hooks

The list goes on. She is three cabin, so storage is at a premium.

I'll leave where it is for now, Yngmar, I'm kind of on your page with it being jam smack in the way. The youngest keeps standing on it to get a good look around as well, which I daresay isn't good for it either  ::). I suppose, with the gates in the guard rails open, the 1st mate would be able to shove it over the side. As you rightly point out, the practical probability of using it coastal cruising is vanishing small - it's more for peace of mind.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 23 2020, 11:39 »
Hope you also have (in order of priority, at least mine) mobile phone, DSC VHF, EPIRB/PLB.

Last season I had to seek outside assistance for the first time in over 40 years. Not life threatening, but picked up a string of pots when I ran over a floating line under sail, well clear of the marker. Tethered to the seabed with the rope around the keel. About 1 mile SE of East Looe channel coming out of Poole. Fortunately a day like today with just a slight swell. VHF call to Solent coastguard to explain the position and 45 minutes later the big RNLI RIB with 6 crew arrived. One went over the side and traced where the rope went. RIB pulled my boat back to create some slack, cut the pot rope, pulled it free and rejoined it and I was on my way.

BTW if you ever do need to call for help, coastguard want Lat/Long for position, RNLI prefer bearings to or from a known point (in my case would have been my waypoint for East Looe outer buoy) but helicopters work to ordnance survey co-ordinates for coastal work. Not that you are likely to need to speak directly to the chopper with a position.

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: June 23 2020, 13:20 »
Symphony, of course, we have the basics in a grab bag (although my handheld VHF is not DSC, on the "to buy" list). Additionally, since I purchased Mirage, we have an AIS transceiver so they can locate us at a moments notice also.  A (properly registered) PLB is always on my person also.

That story goes to illustrate how wonderful the service is we have here in the UK from the RNLI. On our exit from Poole I was considering using that channel to shortcut the main channel. On the chart it appears safe with our draft of 2M, or does your experience lead you to avoid it from here on in?

I would still argue that fishing nets are more important marine equipment....  ;D

Thanks for all of the advice as ever.

Symphony

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 23 2020, 14:05 »
As I think I have posted before one of the reasons why I specified the shoal draft keel (1.5m) was to be able to get out through East Looe at low water springs. The reason for this is that when you are going to or from IOW to make full use of the tide you need to leave Poole close to low water so you get the full flood which will carry you all the way to Cowes. I have done it many times and have never touched. Similar coming the other way, although if coming from Yarmouth you usually get there at about 2 hours before low when there is plenty of water but adverse flow through the Haven.

As you may know the levels only fall for the last 3 hours or so before low and most is in the last hour, so with your 2m draft you are fine up to about 2 hours before low on springs and just about any state at neaps.

Just to illustrate the value of using this route, my best time with my current boat is 4.5 hours from Cowes with a F4 northerly and full spring tide. More commonly you need the full tide because the prevailing wind makes it a beat, which is why many people tack across the bay and stop in Studland, have a cuppa then take the flood into Poole.

Downside is that in recent times more and more pots have been laid in the direct course from E Looe to North channel to enter the Solent. Mostly whelks that end up in Spain, although if you fancy eating them you can often buy them at Greenslades in the docks!

Just thought I would add a suggestion. I assume you are planning to sail back to the east coast some time. An alternative to East Looe which is the shortest start to going east you may want to consider planning an overnight in Studland. Your children will love it and you can't really leave the south without letting them play on the beach and go for a pint in the Bankes Arms. A right of passage! If you can plan for an early morning spring low water (like today at 0618) you can carry over 8 hours of east going tide which will comfortably take you to well into the Solent if you want a stop there, or south of the IOW if you are doing longer legs. Going east along the South coast is all about riding the tide. You are fortunate if you go in the summer or early autumn as there is less chance of easterlies such as we had in spades this spring.