Author Topic: Cable identification, Bavaria 39C, 2007, Owners manual explanation  (Read 1056 times)

marp

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Hi,
I have problem with figuring out cables labels on my recently bought Bavaria 39C.
I start to doubt that i get Owner Manual right, there is that "2.5.7 Wiring plans" section. Could You tell me what "Stecker" "Sicherung" and "PIN" columns stands for?
My understanding was that "Sicherung" (translation: "Fuse") corresponds to number that cable is marked on yellow label, the problem is that Owner manual end on number 20, and I have cables marked 21,22,24... (see piture), i.e. [21] is negative cable for interior lighting.
Also I have no idea what Stecker is... it translates into Plug, and its value in manual can be "1", "2" or "VL (not a clue whats that stands for)". Initial thought was that it might indicate to which of two main switches given thing is connected, but its not.
And finally I have completely no idea what number in "PIN" column is.
Please help as I am extremely confused :(
PS. If anybody would know what red cable marked [22] is I would love to get help with identifying it (looks like some optional equipment as it is not connected to anything on panel. I failed to find its other end...)
All Best,
marp

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
As I understand it, "Stecker" refers to the two 12-pin plugs and sockets which the panel 201 is connected to.  So "1" and "2" indicate which plug, and "PIN" indicates which of the 12 pins a circuit is connected to.  I assume "VL" indicates that the circuit is connected directly, not via the multipin plugs.

"Sicherung" means fuse and refers to the fuse position on the back of panel 201.

The little yellow labels on the cables have no relevance to the circuit diagram.  Later boats have silver printed tags on the cables, describing what they are for, which is much easier!

It's likely that Bavaria used a standard wiring loom for each boat, regardless of the options specified, so there will often be a number of spare unconnected cables.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Stecker = Plug (Connector)
Sicherung = Fuse
PIN = Pin (the number of a pin in a connector)
VL could be a lot of things depending on the context, but probably means they're outside of the multi-pin plugs.

The plug is probably the one connecting the instrument panel to the boat, and that's what the pins refer to.

Is it Panel 201? That does have two plugs and a common negative crimped into one large cable lug, plus about 4 lose 6.3mm spades. Those are probably your "VL" then.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, the manual probably no longer reflects the actual boat as things tend to get changed a lot over the years and you just do what every boat owner does and follow each wire to see where it goes and/or measure them. Then you can devise your own labeling system, which you will understand and the next owner will curse you for. This ritual is an important part of getting to known your boat ;D
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marp

• Cadet
Its panel 301, maybe thats why im confused, if the owner manual refers to 201... I have those silver labels on some of the cables, mostly main ones, distribution cables do not have anything on them except those yellow things.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Yup, that's a newer panel with completely different connections to the boat.

SVB has nice high-res pictures of both: https://www.svb24.com/en/panel-201-12-v.html vs https://www.svb24.com/en/bavaria-main-panel-301.html
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

marp

• Cadet
Thanks all, great news is i figured that out :) If someone would have similar problem as me... don't care about B39 owners manual, go straight to 301 panel instruction, there You have all tables/schemes in english and great news is that cable numbers in that panel instruction corresponds to actual numbers on yellow labels that are on each cable on boat (colors of cables are sometimes messed up, but number is always correct). :)