Author Topic: Replacing Bav Cap Shrouds  (Read 1287 times)

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Replacing Bav Cap Shrouds
« on: June 12 2020, 21:23 »
I’ve been replacing my standing rigging and only have the cap shrouds left to do.  The main shroud is 7mm wire but just below the spreader a 4mm diagonal is crimped on.
The rigger at our local chandlers was perplexed by this and checked with Selden.  Selden advise replacing the spreader ends with a set-up that allows discontinuous rigging; in effect a wire from the chain plate to spreader then two separate wires out of the top of the spreader, all connected through a pin and eye terminals or forks pictured on page 4 of the guide https://www.technicalmarinesupplies.co.uk/res/user/2273_spreaders.pdf
The Selden approach is more complex than the Bavaria set-up but I can see the logic in it, although the current set-up has worked on my boat for the last 13 years and presumably on many others too.

Any thoughts or experiences of changing to the Selden system?

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Replacing Bav Cap Shrouds
« Reply #1 on: June 13 2020, 04:16 »
Hi Baddox,
What size and year is the vessel you own. From your description it sounds like the D2 is swagged to the caps at what would be top of the V1. This arrangement means that the D2 cannot be adjust independently of the cap shroud. This arrangement makes it impossible to straighten the mast as the D2s cannot be adjusted. in some vessels the D2 is taken all the way to deck level and can be adjusted there (great for riggers as you don't need to climb the mast to adjust the D2s). It is likely that the original set up was a cost saving exercise.

Would recommend that you change to the discontinuous set up as recommended by Selden. You will also need to get turnbuckles for the D2s per the attached photo.
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009