Author Topic: Raw water pump  (Read 1606 times)

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
Raw water pump
« on: June 12 2020, 10:01 »
Because of the leaking of my raw water pump (D2-40) every 2 Years I ordered a spare pump from professionalmarine.it (Ancor 701). They sent it in 3 days for the price of €184 incl. shipping. Maybe that helps someone. Yes, I can change the seals on my old one, but for a quick change it can be a good solution.
Greetings from Germany
Klaus

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Raw water pump
« Reply #1 on: June 14 2020, 03:31 »
That's a very good price.  I replaced mine for around US$350 earlier this year, and that was the best price I could find.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

PEA-JAY

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B-Cruiser 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 14 2020, 13:52 »
You shouldn’t need to change your raw water pump every 2 years unless there is some underlying condition.
In 15 years I serviced mine only once!
Regards

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 14 2020, 16:52 »
Yes I know, it's just a spare for a quick change. Afterwards I will fix the original one with new seals!
Klaus

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14 2020, 23:19 »
It is the shaft seals that usually go on the raw water pump, not the shafts themselves.

If you have a leak of salt water from the hole behind the impeller you can replace it easily by pulling out the impeller and hooking out the old seal. This seal has a metal spiral ( spring) in it that in my case has corroded a few times.

If oil leaks out of this hole it is a bit more difficult to replace. Have a look at euromarineparts for an exploded diagram of the parts. It is self explanatory.

You really should only have to replace the shaft if it has been scoured.

I've had two shaft seals ( both the salt water seals) go in the last 10 years and I believe this is a regular thing to go wrong. I haven't heard of the whole shaft going or the whole water pump needing replacement yet.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia