Author Topic: Problem with steering system  (Read 1962 times)

acheronvelero

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44 AC
  • Boat Year: 2002
Problem with steering system
« on: June 10 2020, 10:32 »
Dear friends
I have a Bavaria 44 and when I turn the rudder a noise sounds and I have discovered that there is a slack, a gap between the gearbox and the plate that holds it. The whole piece moves and vibrates.
I need to know how to tighten the screws to fix it. I can't see the screws, so please does anybody knows where are they and how to reach them?
I have already asked to Bavaria, but they sent me the owner's manual and there's no assembly drawings on it
Any advice to fix it? Find the attached picture
Thanks in advance!!

Winga

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
Re: Problem with steering system
« Reply #1 on: June 11 2020, 14:36 »
I will have a look at mine, as it is the same boat and model, this evening.

acheronvelero

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: June 11 2020, 19:40 »
Many thanks!!

Waiting for your response

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 14 2020, 19:09 »
I have had sthe same problem on a 40 a Cruiser twin wheels. The black metal plate should have 4 self tighten bolts to the grey metal plate. You my lose the four bolts, and over the black metal ate you find the esagonal screws between the black metal plate and the weel box. Before thithen put some loctite.

acheronvelero

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: June 14 2020, 19:33 »
Many thanks. I think that's the right way. Do you know how heavy is? There's so small space to work and will be very difficult to handle while screwing..

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: June 14 2020, 21:56 »
Before begin, is better to detach electric autopilot engine. Two  17 key bolt, pay attention to wires. Another thing: it is important to lock the wheels, open the two orizontal chains. You could stop with electric strap the chains round the 2 lateral pinions under the wheels to obtain the right position after remounting. Do not move/rotate any part of the system during your work. If possible mark pinion position before state the work. After remount ceck the correct mouvment of the chains round the pinions from right to left. Do not overtight the chains. It is possible at the end of the work you do not have wheels and rudder correst aligned. I suggest to find a new wheels center (same mouvment right and left) block the wheels and center rudder from nuts on the push rod.

kavok

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: June 14 2020, 22:07 »
http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,2165.msg16333.html#msg16333.
See also at post 51.
Before dismount remember also to unscrew the pusch rod from the box side.