Author Topic: What is this? Bavaria 38 Ocean  (Read 1905 times)

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
What is this? Bavaria 38 Ocean
« on: June 09 2020, 04:03 »
It's a great time to take an inventory of all the stuff we carry that we have no idea what it is.  To that, we acquired our 1998 Bavaria 38 Ocean 3 plus years ago and no one can tell us what this thing is.  We suspect it has something to do with the whisker pole that the PO gave away before selling the boat to us (and has been replaced). As luck would have it we would dumpster this finely cast and machined part only to find out later that it is really important and costly to replace.  We've asked all the local chandlers and they don't know what it is so please, take a stab, an educated guess or better yet, tell us what is is because you recognize it.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
SV Zephyrus
Seattle, WA

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: What is this? Bavaria 38 Ocean
« Reply #1 on: June 09 2020, 06:47 »
Doesn't look like whisker pole attachment to me...

Articulated joint, quite heavy attachment, only limited angle of movement in one plane... With these features my educated guess would be autopilot linear drive mounting point to be installed in hull / other suitable fixed point.

No - my mounting point does not look similar, but has similar features - hefty, articulated, capable of only limited angles (while for whisker pole, you would want more degrees of freedom).

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 11 2020, 11:29 »
quit difficult to declare cause of pure english

but it is the peace which is holding the auto pilot linear Drive to the ship and the bolt is the peace to hold it to the tiller arm. i try to sent a picture

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 11 2020, 11:54 »
quit difficult to declare cause of pure english

but it is the peace which is holding the auto pilot linear Drive to the ship and the bolt is the peace to hold it to the tiller arm. i try to sent a picture

Well spotted!

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #4 on: June 12 2020, 18:35 »
Amazing!  Thank you; that is it.  It appears to be an out of sign, out of mind part which I will have to take a look.  We are due to have the drive serviced/refurbished/replaced soon so I am glad I asked and didn't throw it away (just in case)!  THANK YOU.