Author Topic: About to View a 42 Cruiser 2001 what are the 'walk away' faults to look for  (Read 3129 times)

Julian M

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
Hi Everyone,

After a lot of boat viewings prior to 'lock down' (over 50 in the last 2 years) as a family we have finally settled on a Bavaria 42 - 3. (Would have liked Ocean but out of budget range). The last one I viewed was sold before I could take matters further. This one is for sale by the owner and is located at my current marina. My marina is about to open and the vessel owner is happy for me to visit the boat and spend as much time as I like by myself going over the boat. Obviously if I do take matters further I will have a full survey. However, what I do not want to do is waste my or the sellers time (don't want to offend a neighbour) by making an offer that then fails. To give me the best chance of avoiding this what are the main points I should be looking out for, by this I mean the ones that would make you simply walk-a-way and not even bother making an offer?

The boat is in a very original state with standing rigging, sails, engine (hours unknown), electronics all being original, it has teak decks.

Also happy to hear any views on the 2001 42 Cruiser 3 Cabin.

Many thanks in advance

Julian

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
I'd be concerned about 19 year old teak decks.  The cost and work involved in removing or replacing them is significant.

With original rigging and sails, you'll need to budget for replacements.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
The method of laying the teak deck would make significant difference. I believe factory installed are thin teak mounted over plywood and most of that are are quite soon due for replacement. If however the PO has had the deck made by supplier or independent yard, it can be even full teak vacuum bagged type quality fitting that may have still years of service life.

Count in the budget for new set of sails (including spi if you need that) and running rigging.

If taken care properly, a 2001 Cruiser should serve you well.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina
40 Cruiser - 2001

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Welcome to the forum.

Agree with tiger79. Teak decks and original sails and rigging are top of the list of question marks. The teak is glued on and it may be just thin teak on a ply backing which Bavaria used on some models at that time. Look for the usual signs of excess wear and caulking becoming detached, or lifting from the deck. You will find several threads on here about renovating and/or replacing teak decks. No solutions are easy or cheap. On the other hand if it is sound you may well get several more years service out of it. You can't really tell much about the standing rigging by observation, but chances are your insurer will want it replaced or at least a mast down inspection. Sails are a bit easier to inspect, but the originals were very basic and tend to go baggy, particularly if it has a furling mainsail.

Engine is I expect an MD22 so pretty straightforward. All you can really do is a visual inspection for signs of leaks. Same with saildrive,  but for both the service record is what is important, with evidence that the saildrive diaphragm has been replaced at least once. The original cooker was a Techimpex and these suffer from corrosion and are very difficult to service as the burners are very difficult to remove. However, if it has only been lightly used it may well be OK. The factory gas system is poor and does not meet current regulations. Electrics are generally OK, but original wire is not tinned so corrosion, particularly at terminals is a possibility.

Structurally it is worth lifting all the floorboards and looking for any signs of distortion or damage around the top hat ribs that make up the grid, particularly at the rear, aft of the keel. The bilges should be dry and keel stud nuts and backing plates clean. Look for any signs of water ingress from windows, hatches and portlights. At that period Bavaria were using Lewmar, Gebo and Rutgerson for windows and hatches. Check all doors open and close properly.

The model itself was one of Bavaria's big success stories and sold in large numbers, particularly to the Med charter market with the layout that had an extra cabin forward. I chartered one in 2000 and was really impressed with it. I subsequently bought a similar 37 for charter work. Both models were well regarded by operators as being tough and reliable and by clients as comfortable and easy to sail.

Good luck with your viewing. I am sure after looking at 50 boats you have acquired a feel for whether a boat is right. What is good about Bavarias is that they are straightforward and relatively simple. Because of the numbers made there is lots of expertise around such as on this forum, parts are mostly easy to source and replace and they perform in the way expected.

PS Is the boat called Joy, listed by Clipper?  If, so, looks promising based on the details. Not messed about like some 20 year old boats. Bit surprised by the seemingly low asking price given all the good gear.

AFRiCA

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 42 ft Racer/Cruiser
Hi Julian, i have owned a 4 cabin 2001 bavaria 42ft sloop for the past 12 years. Before i relate the issues i have dealt with i would just like to say the 2001 bavaria 42ft sloop is a very sound and well constructed yacht, built in a time where yachts were built to a recipe not a price. The 42 has great sea keeping capabilities and is one of very few yacht designs i have sailed on that loves going to windward, sails well across the breeze but a bit rolly down hill. The 50hp VP has ticked over 4000 hrs and is giving great performance, reliability and fuel efficiency (hope Murphy is not reading this post). The saildrive has a 2 bladed folding prop.
Since owning my yacht i have cruised and raced over 40,000 Nmls up and down the east coast of Australia from Southern Tasmania to the Whitsunday Islands in Queensland and in doing so i have never felt the 42 was challenged by any conditions i have experienced.

Things to look at:-
1) Water ingress where the stanchions meet the teak toe rail. Required re-engineering to overcome the problem.
2) Check the forward water tank for leaks. I am currently is in the process of replacing it with a bladder after years of trying to patch up leaks.
3) Refrigeration issues.
4) The exhaust elbow on the VP should be checked, when I changed mine 2 years ago it was 90% blocked, view posts on this issue, lots of good advice.
5) The rubber 4 metre exhaust hose from muffler/silencer to the hull outlet should be checked for pinhole leaks due to the corrosion of wire reinforcing.
6) Check all windows and hatches for leaks. Have re-bedded most.
7) Check the switchboard. A design fault (in my view) which sees an opening window above the switch board has over previous owners lead to water dripping/flowing over it. The switch board was replaced 3 years ago.
8) I would also recommend the purchase of a modern design high holding anchor, such as a Rocna. I have a 25kg Rocna with 85 metres of 10mm chain. Nothing like feeling secure once at anchor.

Hope this is of assistance.

Julian M

• Swab
Many thanks for all the quick responses, really helpful and also reassuring. I am now going to look at another 42 (mentioned by one of the posters), I've been looking for years then 2 come along at once!! Both viewings now on for tomorrow so will certainly feedback.

Abusing everyones good nature, how far off would I be if I allowed £15,000 for Standing & Running rigging + Cruiser Main and Jib?

Thanks again everyone, this is a big purchase for me and my family in many ways, so the more informed the decisions I make the better (but we are keeping a 50% cost of the boat as a contingency fund just in case:)

Julian

Symphony

• Old Salt
£15k would more than cover it, although doubt you would get that off the asking price, which will be set in the knowledge that these are getting to the end of their life (the listing for Joy makes this point). That boat has the optional original high tech sails which were much better than standard so may well be still serviceable. You can save a lot on running rigging buy buying reels of rope and making it up yourself. If you use the Selden halyard knot to attach shackles there is no need to make splices. Similar with standing rigging, you can take it all off yourself and just get the rigger to make the wires up using the originals as patterns. Sensible though to get a rigger to step the mast and set up the rigging.

One of the joys and frustrations of buying a boat is weighing up the pros and cons of each one you consider and trying to work out which is the best for you bearing in mind they are not all the same and all will need some work to get near to what you would like. Having two similar boats at the same time may make this easier - or more difficult as you can only buy one!

Julian M

• Swab
As an update: As can be seen online, offer made and accepted on 'Joy'  :) The advice from this forum proved invaluable and a massive thank you from me. AFRiCA spot on with the list and the teak is ? (jury's out on this one). There is so far a very long list of resource hungry activity to get Joy back to her former glory but the last two owners have served her well, all appearing very original. I have no doubt there will be lots more cries for help coming from me over the next two years (timescale, driven by time and funds) as I plough through the repairs and upgrades, all subject to the rest of the boat buying process going to plan.

Thank you all once again, advice as always gratefully received.

Julian

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
Congratulations on the new boat. Just looked at the photos: https://www.clippermarine.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Bavaria-42-FOR-SALE-7386533.html

Things you should probably check out/do with related threads:

Happy boat fiddling/sailing! :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Symphony

• Old Salt
Congratulations. Hope the survey goes well. Looks like things are opening up sailing wise so hopefully you will get to know the boat this year before you dive into the inevitable long list. In addition to Yngmar's suggestions, worth carefully checking the holding tank system before using it for leaks, blockages and that the pump works. There should also be an inspection hatch on the tank so you can check it is clean and the outlet not blocked.

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
That is a gorgeous vessel.  I like the linear galley layout.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Congrats on your purchase.  A good price.  I have the same boat purchased 5 years ago.  It has the same upholstery.   I removed covers two at a time dyed them using Dylon, they came out like new.  It took over a week and an angry wife to achieve it though. 

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
  I removed covers two at a time dyed them using Dylon, they came out like new.  It took over a week and an angry wife to achieve it though.

Interesting. Any tips?  I'm in process of buying a 30 Cruiser and inside covers look a bit faded...