Author Topic: In Mast Reefing  (Read 1867 times)

Chit Chat

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2013
In Mast Reefing
« on: May 18 2020, 15:45 »
We have a 2013 B37 with in mast furling. Has anyone replaced their own running rigging on a boat like this ? One rigger said the boom needs to come off, another says not necessary. We are of a mind to do it ourselves but don't want to get caught out ! Any views much appreciated. Thanks

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: In Mast Reefing
« Reply #1 on: May 18 2020, 16:53 »
Assume you are talking about the outhaul line, in which case there is no need to remove the boom. Just sew the new line to the end of the old one, tape over the join so it runs smoothly and pull it through. The furling line needs to be endless and the instructions for this are on the Selden site. The halyard is replaced in the same way as the outhaul.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 18 2020, 18:31 »
Stitch a loop into the end of all your running rigging then tie a mousing line to the loop and you change or wash all of it without any problems.
Our in mast has continuous loop reefing but it's quite easy to wash it in a bucket or in my case just splice up a new line.

Baddox

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 18 2020, 21:50 »
I’ve replaced the outhaul on ours.  I cannot remember the details but it probably involved whipping a loop to the new and old lines then joining them and smoothing the join with a bit of electrician’s tape.