Author Topic: Bow Thruster on B 31 Cruiser  (Read 3831 times)

Bav31CR

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31 Crioser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Bow Thruster on B 31 Cruiser
« on: December 21 2021, 16:06 »
Recently bought a Bavaria 31 Cruiser from 2008 and would like to install a bow thruster. I was wondering which model was originally installed by Bavaria as option and which brand and most important what kgf do you suggest. Thank you.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bow Thruster on B 31 Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: December 21 2021, 16:34 »
Bavaria have fitted Side-Power thrusters for many years.  You'd need at least an SE40 or maybe an SE50 (40kg or 50kg thrust).

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 21 2021, 17:14 »
Do you really think you need one on a 31?

Might I suggest that you spend a season with it first before spending thousands and cutting big holes in it.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #3 on: December 21 2021, 18:44 »
Do you really think you need one on a 31?

Might I suggest that you spend a season with it first before spending thousands and cutting big holes in it.

I agree, We have a B38 and the rudders on Bavaria yachts are enormous, with judicial blasts of power you can manoeuvre easily in tight spaces and if you want to 'go around' the boat can reverse back out with ease.............
I'd save the money and see how it goes. A bow thruster isn't a substitute for experience and can give an unjustified confidence in a boats nippy handling,..

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 21 2021, 23:46 »
40 years experience and I am very happy I chose a bow thruster in 2015 for my 33. Without it I simply would not be able to use my boat because getting it in and out of my tight berth on my own is simply too risky.

All too easy to make sweeping assertions on behalf of others without understanding why they are thinking of following a particular course of action. Was discussing this with a fellow club member who has a 2006 Bav30 which he bought new for his retirement. Now aged 80 he is contemplating giving up because his wife has just had a hip replacement and he will be effectively be on his own handling the boat. Says he always admires the way I can berth my boat on my own and would love a bow thruster, but difficult to justify just to extend sailing for another year or 2.

Just bought an old long keel boat as my last project. My biggest concern is whether I shall be able to handle it in and out of my berth (despite having owned a smaller version of the same design for over 30 years!) but if it proves too much of a handful I shall have no hesitation in fitting a bow thruster - just like my neighbour who fitted one to his long keel centreboard Freedom 10 years ago. 86 and still sailing and getting the boat in and out on his own if required.

Like many modern developments in sailing bow thrusters allow people like me to sail long past the age that others could in the past. Fine if you can do what you want to do without, but don't knock those who have different needs and make different choices.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 22 2021, 10:01 »
I didn't say "don't fit one, what the hell do you need a thruster on a 33 for".

I simply suggested that the OP spends a season with the boat first to see how he gets on before spending a big dollop of money on it.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #6 on: December 22 2021, 11:10 »
We fitted a bow thruster to our 1999 35E last winter - a Vetus 55 and it has made a world of difference. However, our home mooring is a pontoon with cross current and we are not as agile as we once were, and wife needs to be able to step down to the pontoon rather than any jumps when coming alongside.
For your boat a 40 Kgf should suffice but of course consult your installer. We choose the Vetus because it has the lowest height, thus enabling it to be furthest forward under the bow bed. It did entail removal of the secondary water tank which we rarely used. Its powered by dedicated battery with a B2B charger from house bank.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 22 2021, 13:23 »
Fine if you can do what you want to do without, but don't knock those who have different needs and make different choices.

I don't think anybody was 'knocking' the idea, only suggesting that if the owner can handle the boat easily without one...why spend the money..??

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #8 on: December 22 2021, 16:24 »
Prior to ordering my Bavaria, I'd had a Hallberg-Rassy for about 20 years, without a bowthruster.  Looking at the hull shape of the Bavaria compared with the longer keel HR, I anticipated that the Bavaria would be affected much more by side winds, and so I ordered a factory-fitted thruster.  I'm very glad I did; it makes single-handing much easier.  I have added a wireless remote control too, so I can give the thruster a burst if required whilst on the foredeck.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 23 2021, 09:12 »
I have to say, that every time I hear a bow thruster going, I rush up on deck and grab a fender, because it usually goes hand in hand with a skipper that's not properly in control of there boat.

I've had more people run into me whilst mucking about with their bow thruster than those which don't have them.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 23 2021, 11:34 »
I have to say, that every time I hear a bow thruster going, I rush up on deck and grab a fender, because it usually goes hand in hand with a skipper that's not properly in control of there boat.

I've had more people run into me whilst mucking about with their bow thruster than those which don't have them.

Yep.. As I suggested above...... ""A bow thruster isn't a substitute for experience and can give an unjustified confidence in a boats nippy handling,..""

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #11 on: December 23 2021, 13:34 »
On my 46 footer i'm happy to have one. Try to move your bow if docking med-style (stern to) with the anchor chain down, 20knots of wind on the broadside and no other boat to lean on!

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 23 2021, 13:41 »
On my 46 footer i'm happy to have one. Try to move your bow if docking med-style (stern to) with the anchor chain down, 20knots of wind on the broadside and no other boat to lean on!
A very fair comment, and I reckon on a 46 footer I'd also want one......but the question is:- ....Is to worth the expense on a 31 ft yacht...?

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #13 on: December 23 2021, 14:33 »

but the question is:- ....Is to worth the expense on a 31 ft yacht...?

Why not?  If it's what the owner wants, why shouldn't he have one?  Maybe he sails singlehanded, maybe he has a dreadfully awkward marina berth.  Boats are not rational investments, if he can afford it, who has the right to criticise him?

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 23 2021, 18:50 »
"""Why not?  If it's what the owner wants, why shouldn't he have one?  Maybe he sails singlehanded, maybe he has a dreadfully awkward marina berth.  Boats are not rational investments, if he can afford it, who has the right to criticise him?"""( Posted by tiger 79)

Nobody is telling anybody to do anything.....
I thought this was a forum where posters sought advise...shared information/ideas and views...

And yes, I agree fully, a single hander or an elderly sailor could benefit from the expense..(I should talk I'm 67..!!)

But we all have the right to express an opinion, or at least so I thought, and mine, and at least one other poster, is that rather than immediately invest rather a lot of probably hard earned cash on a bow thruster, give it a season to see if you need one.. and it is good advise

The OP may be young and fit with a crew.....I simply asked if it was money well spent, and it will be a rather lot, and that could buy a heap of other kit..
So tiger79, who is criticising who....??

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #15 on: December 23 2021, 18:53 »
Life was so simple when chartering a 30ft boat and had fun with my first mate ::). Years later i need a 46 footer to accomodate my children and grandchildren. Life is life ;D.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #16 on: December 23 2021, 22:19 »
So tiger79, who is criticising who....??

Well, I'm certainly not questioning the OP's desire to fit a thruster.  When I started sailing, it was without a thruster, or anchor windlass, or furling jib, or furling main, or autopilot, or hot water, or a shower, or a fridge, or heating, or navigation instruments (apart from a compass).  I have all those now, and I wouldn't want to go back to not having them.

Bav31CR

• Swab
« Reply #17 on: December 26 2021, 13:05 »
Thanks to everybody for the comments. Deciding whether I need a BT or not was never a question, I just knew I want it. I'have been in the industry since mid nineties and I have manouvered 100 of different motor boats with all sorts of configurations and the conclusion is simple, the more toys you have the better - as long as you are ready to maintain and service them obviously. Plus, this is the first family boats with a crew of rookies, so no dilemas there, BT it is. I remember in mid nineties it was a shame to have a BT if you had twin engines, while today a BT is a standrads on motor yacht. Same was with air conditioning, everybody was saying you don't need one, today a/c is a must have on any decent m/y.
At any rate I don't have the experience to judge whether a 40 kgf is powerful enough for this boat or shall I go for 55, that's why I asked. By what I have heard so far a 40 kgf shall do the job, and that is what I reckon also from your feedback

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #18 on: December 26 2021, 20:41 »
Yes, a 40 will be fine - I have a 55 on a 2015 B33 which is nearly 2 tonnes heavier and lots more windage. Follow the advice of the Sidepower agent. In reality I doubt you will actually use it much. I had mine fitted because I go into my berth backwards and the main use is to steer the boat's bows often against a cross wind while slowly backing in. The other common use is to stop the bow from blowing downwind when exiting in a cross wind as I sail on my own so letting go the bow line and going back to the cockpit means the bow often blows off. If you have a half decent crew who knows how to handle lines I doubt you really need it on a 31 in most situations. Its real value is when you are on your own.

LinTeal

• Second Mate
« Reply #19 on: December 27 2021, 11:46 »
The previous owner of my Bav 34 installed a BT costing c £4k.
Although I would not have installed one,for cost reasons ,I find it a great bit of kit to have and use it a fair amount .

Bav31CR

• Swab
« Reply #20 on: December 27 2021, 13:35 »
In our area we regularly moor stern to, lots of times in small cramped spaces, often with crosswinds and the bow needs to stay in place while dropping the anchor or handling the bow mooring line. I liked one of the comments saying that boats are irrational and that's what they are. It's called pleasure boating so it's all about enjoying it, reasoning if the money is well spent or not for me is second place. Comment on 40kgf most appreciated.

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #21 on: December 29 2021, 22:15 »
I Have one on my B42,  When I first bought the boat I uswed it all the time , but now very rarely.   probably not worth the expense on a 31