Poll

Have you replaced the rubber seal (a.k.a. diaphragm, gasket) on your Bavaria?

No - boat is < 8 years old
21 (20.2%)
No - boat is  8- 10 years old
14 (13.5%)
No - boat is >10 years old
27 (26%)
Yes - boat is > 8 years old and seal was found to be in good condition
41 (39.4%)
Yes - boat is > 8 years old and seal was found to be in poor condition
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: Replacement of S-Drive/Hull rubber seal  (Read 6726 times)

Bob Baynton

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Replacement of S-Drive/Hull rubber seal
« on: March 02 2013, 01:04 »
Volvo state that the seal should be replaced every 7 years. Is it really necessary at that time, and if not, when should Bavaria owners consider this expensive preventative maintenance item? As a Bavaria owner, what has been your experience?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Replacement of S-Drive/Hull rubber seal
« Reply #1 on: March 02 2013, 09:46 »
Lots of advice already given on this subject, look up on the search box at the top of this forum.

If you want more come back.

Good luck
Odysseus
Odysseus

Bob Baynton

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bav 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: March 02 2013, 18:13 »
Yes, I have read the exchange of info on this topic, but curious to see, collectively, what our colleagues have actually done.
 :)Bob

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #3 on: October 17 2013, 04:45 »
Hi Bob,

I know it's a thread that's been "silent" for a couple of months, but I do think it's an interesting poll nonetheless and worth bumping. We took the surveyor's advice on our new-to-us Bav 30 2006 and replaced the seal on purchase. (Well, I say "we replaced the seal" - actually, we filled  DDZ's hands with gold!) It looked fine, but what would I know? So live data like this is at least food for thought.

Best wishes,

Chris

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: March 01 2014, 20:31 »
hi all

just bought a B34 (2001) with original diaphragm. Surveyor reckoned it was OK but I changed it anyway (I can just imagine what the insurance company would have said if anything happened and I hadn't!). The upshot, according to the Volvo agent who did it, was that at 13+ years old it was in extremely good nick and would have lasted much longer. Good to know that something they produce is of high quality.

ATB

Mark
ATB

Mark

peterwgibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bav 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #5 on: March 19 2014, 21:16 »
The gaitor is clearly visible and open to close inspection.  When I last replaced mine I noticed the construction was very robust - fabric and neoprene or suchlike. I would guess a sudden catastrophic failure is highly unlikely - the absence of reports of this risk seems to vindicate a careful but not paranoic attitiude to replacing at 7 or more years.

However, I wonder how many owners consider their timing belts - much harder to inspect - at least on my Ocean 38 - failure here is an engine rebuild!

PWG

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: April 05 2014, 23:20 »
Hi All,
I had the seal replaced on my boat during its first winter haul out in 2011, and at that time the seal was by then nine years old and looking almost like new. If I'd realised just how good condition it was in, despite the boat having spent all of its life up to that point in the charter market, I would not have changed it other than to side step any insurance issues. I've still got the seal and will keep it by in case of any issues with the new one.
From my experience and the remarks from the previous feedback, it appears that changing the seals every seven years is extreme overkill.

saltash182

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: January 03 2018, 19:56 »
Just replaced the seal in my 2006 Bav 30 and not sure why i did as it still looks new. Anyway it will keep the insurance company happy

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #8 on: January 03 2021, 02:27 »
We replaced ours at 19 years without knowing if the previous owner had done so.  It appears the mechanic sabotaged/ruined our saildrive by not reinstalling it correctly so we had to replace the saildrive and related diaphram gasket this past summer.  I have a 120SE with a new gasket sitting in my shop as it has cost me about $20,000 in the past three years and I just cant pitch it in the dumpster.