Author Topic: Bav 38 2003  (Read 4861 times)

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Bav 38 2003
« on: February 28 2013, 11:54 »
Sorry for asking again , no response last time , thinking of fitting cockpit speakers , but dont seem to see anywhere obvious , easy to fit them , apart from steering binnacle , originally thought could site port and starboard , but on inspection find a lot of wiring & cabling starboard side below hatch ,  wondered about putting as far apart (which aint far ! ) in upper forward facing section , speakers prob will be 4" fusions or similar ,

Elsewhere I cant see a flat surface thats suitable , dont want to put into cockpit fwd face , cockpit locker fronts would be prone to damage and cockpit sides in front and aft , doubled skinned , .

any advice based on experience in this version of the boat would be most appreciated , or if you have factory fitted units , where ????

ps dont fancy fitting a hatch garage to mount them in

many thanks in anticipation .

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: Bav 38 2003
« Reply #1 on: February 28 2013, 12:48 »
I fitted a 4inch single speaker next to the vents under the rear seat.  Only mono but works ok if you do not want hi-fi . Binnacle could give you problems with the compass.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: February 28 2013, 13:11 »
the speakers i intend to use are described as magnetically shielded, for what thats worth ????

after googling for ages saw a similar boat with speakers in consol low down port and starboard so praps I can do that , really would like stereo .

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: February 28 2013, 15:11 »
I have a 2003 Bav 38 and the speakers for the radio/ cd player are located on eitherside of the cockpit on the backrests just behind the cockpit locker lids. I did not fit them they were on the boat when I bought her. the radio lets me fade the sound between the saloon and the cockpit and the sound is good enough to play classical music. I, m going back to the boat in two weeks, if you want I can take pics and send them to you.

Steve

singlefish

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: February 28 2013, 15:25 »
Hi Steve , a picture may inspire :), though I wonder if this would stick in your back , or worse my son put his foot through one when well heeled , he's managed vents and teak slatted seat on previous boats !

many thanks

stevem

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 28 2013, 15:56 »
I've managed to find a picture of the speakers . as I thought they are just to the rear of the locker lids and access to them is via the locker when lid is open. there is a protecting cover in the locker to prevent damage to the back of the speaker. They are nearly flush and do not obtrude into the cockpit. I think you would have to be quite determined to cause them damage.
Still trying to work out how to send the pic as an attachment. will do so if I succeed.

stardust

• Second Mate
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: February 28 2013, 17:53 »
The speakers on my Bav 38 are either side of the Binnacle .Seems to work OK

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #7 on: February 28 2013, 23:04 »
My Bav 38 2003 has both cockpit speakers in the lower part of the steering pedestal/binnacle either side. No problem at all. I expect same place as Stardust.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: March 01 2013, 11:16 »
guess thats where im going too , just have to be careful not to cut anything when drilling through , whilst I blame my son for previous careless footing , i have been known to stand on seat backs when well heeled especially when passing round binnacle , Ive seen speaks on other boats where foot has gone through, also save me cutting holes in main structure of the boat , which im always wary off . plus added bonus of less uv as for most of the time speakers will be covered by wheel cover ,  many thanks to all for input .

do you know what sort of speakers you have fitted .