Author Topic: NMEA 2000 network Garmin GPS and display set up  (Read 4513 times)

Ethel

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Sportline 350
  • Boat Year: 1993
NMEA 2000 network Garmin GPS and display set up
« on: February 26 2013, 19:36 »
I have a B350 Sportline dating back to 1993.

I decided to upgrade from hybrid NMEA 0183 / Seatalk instruments and displays (Raymarine C80, ST50 displays etc) to NMEA 2000.  I bought a couple of Garmin GMI10 displays and a GPS 17X NMEA 2000 antenna, intending the GPS as a backup and receiving other data from the C80 via NMEA 0183.

The GMI 10 displays the data from the C80, but it can't seem to get GPS data from the GPS17X over NMEA 2000.  The GMI 10 recognises the GPS 17X but there appears to be no satellite acquisition on the skymap display.  I even replaced the antenna thinking that the GPS hardware was at fault.

Does anyone have any experience of setting something like this up ?    There seem to be few configuration parameters to tweak.  I've checked my NMEA 2000 network topology and updated the devices to their latest firmware versions, all to no avail. Frankly I've run out of ideas as to things to try.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: NMEA 2000 network Garmin GPS and display set up
« Reply #1 on: February 27 2013, 00:18 »
The first thing is to contact Garmin.  Their back up and after sales is very good.  I have had Garmin stuff connected to Raymarine on the last two boats and any technical points were/are very quickly solved by their techi's.  Also, it maybe worth you posting your question on the YBW site too, where there is a wider audience.

Ethel

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Sportline 350
  • Boat Year: 1993
« Reply #2 on: February 27 2013, 10:08 »
The first thing is to contact Garmin.  Their back up and after sales is very good.  I have had Garmin stuff connected to Raymarine on the last two boats and any technical points were/are very quickly solved by their techi's.  Also, it maybe worth you posting your question on the YBW site too, where there is a wider audience.
Ripster, Thanks for your suggestion re YBW, I will try that.  I have already tried Garmin support who were very quick to respond - though their suggestions have not yet solved the problem.   One suggestion was that initial satellite acquisition may take up to 45 minutes (seems a long time !) -  I gave up a lot sooner than that. So I will try being more patient.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2013, 16:55 »
...  The GMI 10 recognises the GPS 17X but there appears to be no satellite acquisition on the skymap display... 
I don't know the instruments you refer to, but normally a GPS won't output anything until it has satellite lock. Check the antenna connections, and leave it a while.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator