Author Topic: Sail Drive Gater  (Read 9226 times)

nomadic star

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Sail Drive Gater
« on: February 26 2013, 08:33 »
HI , i am having a problem finding a company Hamble Solent area to fit a gater seal between engine and sail drive. The engine is a Volvo 55. Any help would be much appreciated.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
Re: Sail Drive Gater
« Reply #1 on: February 26 2013, 10:03 »
Swainmarine they are local, good lad know what he is doing, put swainmarine into google to get phone numbers.

ODYSSEUS
Odysseus

nomadic star

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 cruiser
« Reply #2 on: February 26 2013, 19:57 »
Thank you , will def give them a try.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 08 2013, 16:11 »
Hi did you get your seal changed, if so how was the deal ok or not.

Any issues, I do not usually recommend people but I thought he deserved one.

Odysseus
Odysseus

s/y Susanne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44/3
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: October 27 2013, 17:24 »
I replaced the saildrive gasket myself last year on a Bavaria 44. There was an article published in one of the Yachting Mags ( I think PBO) which was helpful. By undoing engine mounts and using wood wedges I was able to de-couple the gearbox and undo flange that secured gasket to hull. Lower leg through hole (outer fairing rubber removed) and than split the leg from upper flange to allow new gasket to be installed. The whole job took about three hours and was a bit fiddly requiring a body within the engine compartment and another below. From memory the most difficult part was: a. The allen bolts on the saildrive were very tight and showing signs of some electrolysis in the threaded pockets, b:. The outer fairing rubber glue failed within 6 months despite following Volvo's advice on hull and rubber prep. but I noticed it starting to peel before it got chewed up in the prop ( good stuff this warm water sailing!) and cut it off along the centre-line. Re-glued this year with " Serious Stuff" and it has held so far. Not a sign of any leakage ever from the replaced gasket and another 6 years left before starting again!

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #5 on: October 27 2013, 21:24 »
The professionals did mine and the rubber outer hull seal fell off within 2 weeks! I just glued a new one on and found it very difficult to fit as the seal aperture seems too small for the leg, bodged it a bit I'm afraid as the contact glue contacted in the wrong place as I slid it up - any tips if I have to redo it before it goes back in the water in the spring?

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: October 27 2013, 23:57 »
I replaced my saildrive gasket a couple years ago but I never had an outer gasket.  It serves no purpose other than keep some of the growth out (if there is any growth).  Before launch I usually take a toilet brush and just brush out anything in there. Most years there is nothing but a couple barnacles.  I know of a number of other people without the outer gasket and they too have never had any problems.  they are only glued on.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2013, 10:07 »
I did wonder whether there would be much adverse drag from the hole if the seal was left off. Mine developed a lot of growth while it was missing whilst the boat was sat in a marina in Cagliari - that might have been due to a growth rich dirty water environment there as little further growth developed once the boat was in the Ionian.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 01 2013, 10:43 »
The correct adhesive is Bostic 2402 ( 2 part )   I used this 4 seasons ago after the original was only half stuck on. Been perfect since.  Watch prices and delivery , vary a lot.

http://www.arco.co.uk/product?productcode=4450200&OID=16055

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8#q=Bostic+2402

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #9 on: December 16 2013, 14:22 »
For the external gaiter, I used Sicaflex sealant.  Spread it thinly on the hull, then press gaiter firmly onto it.  Two and a half thousand miles later, no sign of any movement.

nomadicstar

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 39 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #10 on: December 19 2013, 13:38 »
sorry for the delay in answering ,

I was recommended Swainmarine (1st class) by forum member Odysseus , we contacted them and agreed a very favourable rate.

They did the job on the date quoted and left no trace that they had been aboard.

We left the UK in may this year, had a force 9 out of Brest (France) and across the Biscay in 62hrs.

After a fantastic voyage down the Atlantic coast and we are now in Gibraltar for the xmas festivities.

We are very grateful for the forum members recommendations and all the works carried out on our yacht have been sound and solid.