Author Topic: Keel attachment - Bavaria Ocean 47 2000  (Read 2366 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Keel attachment - Bavaria Ocean 47 2000
« on: August 30 2019, 00:18 »
Guys,

A friend of mine is currently in the process of buying a 2000 model Ocean 47.

Not sure if a previous owner is trying to cover up a previous collision as there is a crack at the aft end of the keel. It appears that epoxy has been used to fill the hull/keel join. The owner claims epoxy has been used by Bavaria to join the keel to the hull. I always thought that a Sikaflex type compound was used by Bavaria. As a result of the epoxy used, the keel could not be removed when all the keel bolt nuts were removed. There does not appear to be any problems evident inside the boat.

Can anyone confirm that epoxy in the join is standard? or if there is likely to be an issue. The surveyor does not believe there is a problem.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Keel attachment - Bavaria Ocean 47 2000
« Reply #1 on: August 30 2019, 01:14 »
 ???  It's my understanding as well that Sikaflex or something similar is what was used by Bavaria.  How do I know?  The yard that did the work on the damage to my hull and aft end of the keel after hitting a rock told me so.  They attached the keel similarly after repairs.  Let's assume the boat did hit, it's possible that the repair work is so good that almost no one would be aware of previous damage.  Mine is much like that.  So, it could therefore also be assumed that any repair is a good one.  But that still leaves a conundrum as to why it was adhered with epoxy (by Bavaria - maybe because of the boat size?) or by a repair yard that used incorrect material?  After doing satisfactory moisture readings, I wouldn't necessarily walk away from the boat but maybe reduce my offering price.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 30 2019, 08:28 »
I was under the belief that it was an epoxy glue similar to Plexus.

It's a light brown glue and definitely not sika (that's what I saw them using at the factory).

They did say that the glue was strong enough to hold the keel on without bolts in it at all.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: August 30 2019, 09:16 »
IslandAlchemy has it right. You can download the keel installation manual on this site in the download section. The glue is Plexus MA310, which is a very strong two-part methacrylate adhesive applied with a metal primer over the entire keel/hull joint area and the base of the bolts.

A very far shot from simple PU adhesives such as Sikaflex.

Got a photo of the area?
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jeff Jones

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: August 30 2019, 18:33 »
Hi I found this Bavaria keel guide somewhere online.

hope it helps.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 31 2019, 02:50 »
Thanks guys

You are correct. I was under the misinformation that a sealant was placed in the joint rather than an adhesive, merely to keep water away from the stainless steel bolts.

In my friend's boat, they were unsure if any damage was done to the keel/hull after a grounding. They tried to drop the keel off to inspect but failed to dislodge the keel.

Craig
" Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia