Author Topic: wheel room noise  (Read 6288 times)

lucco

• Swab
  • Boat Model: vision 44
  • Boat Year: 2007
wheel room noise
« on: August 14 2013, 08:35 »
Hello everyone,

I have a Bavaria vision 44 made in 2007.

Extremely happy with her but there is a problem which make me crazy.

There is noise and vibration and knocking  coming from the Wheel room which is behind the aft cabins.Esspecially in heavy weather or higher speeds above 6,5, 7 nm.
There are no problems in the wheels.

You feel the vibration and knockling very much under your foot when you are sitting or standing between the wheels. ( You do not feel it if you are at the port or starboard helm) .

I have read the comments and lot of people say these boats have problems with the Rudder bearings. But when I put myself in the Wheel room from th aft cabin while cruising , I observe that the noise is likely coming from the Lewmar Draglink bearings or from some other part in that area which causes the darglinks and other parts make the noise.  I can not be sure and realy need help.

I am attaching the photograph of the draglink bearing part 89500110 , which I doubt is the source of this case.

İs it the rudder bearings or draglink bearing or some other part.? Anyone ever had draglink bearings with this problem??
any help will be highly appreciated...
Thx a lot in advance

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: wheel room noise
« Reply #1 on: October 04 2014, 10:08 »
"İs it the rudder bearings or draglink bearing or some other part.?"

Hi lucco,
Some time back I was on a friends B37 when a strange sound similar to that which you have described was heard. At the time we had the engine running, and on investigation within the compartment aft of the two stern cabins where the steering system is located, we found that the engine exhaust hose securing in one place had broken. This allowed the hose to move around in time with the pulses of water that were being ejected overboard from the exhaust system, and resulted in the hose knocking repeatedly against the port cabin aft bulkhead. The securing strap which consisted of a short length of perforated stainless steel, had broken, and this had allowed the hose to move around. We were concerned that Without immediate attention the hose might detach itself from the exhaust overboard outlet, which in turn might have filled the boat with smoke, water, and more importantly carbon monoxide gas which is a killer, so temporarily we fitted a rope lashing until we got into port where a more permanent securing was made.
Subsequent investigation on my own B36 revealed two broken securing strips for the exhaust hose which had remained in place without making any noise, so those securings are worth checking anyway.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 04 2014, 11:57 »
This week I found problems with two exhaust mountings (B32 2003) one the wood mount had come away from the grp the other had the screw missing. The straps are good quality ( I think called P clamps) .I have no idea how long this had been the case.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: October 04 2014, 19:31 »
I had a similar problem on my 40ocean only at high speed in lumpy conditions . Mine was too much play in the steering cables allowing the rudder to flutter back and forth. problem solved with a bit of tightening . Geoff

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: October 06 2014, 07:35 »
I've got a similar problem, in my case it's the ball joints on the steering arm. I've got replacements (¾" imperial on my boat) but haven't fitted them yet.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Ronald

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2018
« Reply #5 on: October 06 2014, 18:58 »
I experienced also noise and traced it back to the draglink ball. Lubricated them With a bit a Vaseline and after a few hours sailing noise is gone and steering is smooth again.

Did tighten the chains and rudder bearing adjustment first but that did not do the trick.

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: April 11 2016, 15:33 »
Nigel, you mentioned new ball joints for the steering arm.  Having taken yours to bits, I'm hoping you can help me understand how it all fits together!  By Bav 30 has a light clunk when playing the wheel back and forward.  On close inspection in my case it's play between the inside ball of the ball joint and the bolt that comes down from the quadrant, rather than play in the ball joint intself.  The movement is up and down as if the nut is not quite tight enough or the washer between the nut and the bottom of the ball joint has worn down.  I've tried tightening it but it's very stiff.  Can you tell me how you made sure the nut on the bolt (which looks to be blue-Loctite'd) is tight enough to stop play?  Can you just run it up until all play has gone, or does it reach the end of the thread and you need to add a new washer or something?
Thanks,
Sunshine

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #7 on: April 11 2016, 20:07 »
Nigel, you mentioned new ball joints for the steering arm...
Not done it yet!
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Neil

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #8 on: April 15 2016, 16:04 »
I have a Bavaria 39 from 2006 that the rudder bearings froze on. This could have been for several reasons (being out of the water or antifoul ingress?)  as I purchased the boat 2 years ago in this condition. I replaced the rudder bearings. Bavaria have changed the spec of the bearings since manufacture and the replacement ones are much improved apparently. I don't know if this is the root of your problem but I can confirm that the new bearings work really well, so far.

Neil

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 18 2016, 00:52 »
Hi Sunshine,
The "play" or looseness between the ball end and retaining bolt may be due to the fact that the bolt is stepped or has a sleeve around it to allow the ball joint to work correctly. Would also explain why it is very tight already. The looseness can be solved using a "wave washer" which will compress the ball end. Also the bolt should only be nipped up, it does not need to be "gorilla" tight.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #10 on: April 25 2016, 16:09 »
Thanks Mark.  I took it to bits at the weekend.  The pin coming down from the quadrant is ~15mm shaft to match the inside diameter of the ball joint.  Beyond this is a threaded section to take a plain washer and M10 nut.  When assembled, there's a bevelled aluminium washer between the quadrant and the ball joint (maybe to stop electrochemical reaction between dissimilar metals?) .  This washer plus the ball joint should match the length of the plain shaft of the pin so that a plain washer and nut run up to the end of the threaded section is just right to take up any play and lock the centre of the ball joint.  As the arm rotates, the inner part of the ball-joint is fixed, and the outer part can rotate around it.  In my case, the ball joint was dry and very stiff meaning the whole joint was rotating around the pin, probably wearing down the aluminium washer and creating play.  Because the nut is already at the end of the thread, it couldn't be tightened further.  I greased both ball joints, made sure they were running free and reassembled with an extra 16mm penny washer after the ball joint and before the nut to take up the slack and lock the inner ball (I tried to find a wavy washer as you suggested but the plain one seems to have worked).  Care was needed to ensure the washer was clear of the outer ball across all of the steering range so that there was no extra friction/wear or risk of jamming.  I used a new Nylock nut (and some Loctite just to be sure) since I don't want this nut undoing when sailing.  I'm happy that it's working well and has eliminated the clunkinig, although I suspect a new aluminium washer for the top is the correct solution.

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 21 2019, 13:25 »
A causa di alcune viti allentate, poste in posizione infame, viti che fissano alla struttura metallica annegata nella coperta la scatola timoneria Lewmar dei Bavaria doppia ruota degli anni 2000, mi sono interessato per capire di che materiale si tratta e come andrebbe manutenzionato.
Il sistema è composto da una scatola meccanica con assi a 90° chiamata " Mamba Bevelheads BH10" da una scatola di riduzione denominata "WRG 11 Reduction Gearbox" e dal motore del pilota "Mamba driver da 1/4 di hp e 169 Nm di coppia.
Vedo che comunque il sistema è uguale a quello del disegno allegato al primo post, quindi è il gearbox 89200092
Ovviamente sullo scarno manuale del Bavaria non c'è nulla di tutto questo e i dati, disegni e foto li ho trovati in rete in particolare sul catalogo Lewmar del 2008.
Tutto il sistema sembra robustissimo e ben fatto anche come materiali.

Da nessuna parte sono stato capace di trovare se e come, nel tempo, queste parti meccaniche ed elettriche vanno in qualche modo manutenzionate. Quindi mi rivolgo a chi ha Bavaria doppia ruota anni 2000 per sapere se sono informati sull'argomento e eventualmente anche a non proprietari che conoscono queste parti meccaniche.

Allegati
Anteprime

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 21 2019, 14:27 »
Hello everyone,

I have a Bavaria vision 44 made in 2007.

Extremely happy with her but there is a problem which make me crazy.

There is noise and vibration and knocking  coming from the Wheel room which is behind the aft cabins.Esspecially in heavy weather or higher speeds above 6,5, 7 nm.
There are no problems in the wheels.

You feel the vibration and knockling very much under your foot when you are sitting or standing between the wheels. ( You do not feel it if you are at the port or starboard helm) .

I have read the comments and lot of people say these boats have problems with the Rudder bearings. But when I put myself in the Wheel room from th aft cabin while cruising , I observe that the noise is likely coming from the Lewmar Draglink bearings or from some other part in that area which causes the darglinks and other parts make the noise.  I can not be sure and realy need help.

I am attaching the photograph of the draglink bearing part 89500110 , which I doubt is the source of this case.

İs it the rudder bearings or draglink bearing or some other part.? Anyone ever had draglink bearings with this problem??
any help will be highly appreciated...
Thx a lot in advance
            I have similar problem on my Cruiser 40 m.y. 2008 twin wheels. Same gearbox as your boat.A knock noise only when the movement come from thee rudder, caused by turbulent mouvement in the sea, to the gearbox.No any noise when  the  movement is from wheels to rudder. I just mount new Jefa roller bearings and rudder move very freely. All bolts checked, chain normal tensioned, no any visible problem. If I disconnect the chromed draglink from gearbox lever, and then I move the lever strong and fast back and forth I herd a mechanical knock I think due to  the play  between a couple of  gearbox internal gears  that I think is not removable.