Author Topic: Selden mast "essential spares"  (Read 2581 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Selden mast "essential spares"
« on: May 29 2019, 17:22 »
I intend to take off the mast for new shrouds, and this is a good opportunity for a thorough "checkup"
I already know that I will replace all electrical and VHF antenna cables with tinned type, install a Windex instead the one that broke and take care of the windvane.
However I was wondering if there are parts of the mast that should be replaced, or have a good chance must be replaced, that I should buy in advance - mast will be down for about a week and delivery of items will be much longer, so better purchase some things that I do not need than missing the opportunity to replace something that should be replaced..
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Selden mast "essential spares"
« Reply #1 on: May 29 2019, 18:04 »
Change bulbs to LED if you still have incandescents. Less power draw and more reliable.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 29 2019, 20:10 »
I’d say if you cannot see anything obvious from the bottom of the mast, and use some binoculars to do the check, then don’t buy in anything on the off chance that it might need changing. Selden parts are not cheap, and may well sit on your spares shelf for years before you actually need them. As a “for example,” a friend asked for help regarding his foresail, and while onboard his boat it was noticed that the aluminium feeder for the sail into the luff groove of the foil that fits around the forestay had come off, and the black plastic part that interlocks with that aluminium feeder would not grip the feeder. He contacted Selden in the UK who have had to put in an order to Sweden, and those two tiny parts have set him back £85, but better that than the risk of tearing his fore sail.

Possibly worth checking for wear will be the pin and gooseneck hinge arrangements where the boom and the kicker connect to the mast, and the black coloured aluminium moulding at the foot of the mast that it sits on and which is located on the cabin top should be checked for any obvious cracks.

Apart from that I’d say that most parts are relatively easily accessible and changeable even with the mast up.

If you have any problems with your wind speed indicator, then it could be worth looking at a wireless system rather than replacing the wiring.

Changing the wiring for nav lights, deck light, fog horn etc., as you have already planned from ordinary copper to tinned, is definitely a worthwhile exercise.

While the mast is down take time to measure the length of the shrouds from bearing surface to bearing surface and make a careful note of those lengths and wire sizes, and also the sizes of the bottle screws. Also while the mast is down it might be worth while removing anything portable for security reasons to inside your cabin. Yes, it’s a pain in the arris, but there are lightfingered people around, though sometimes it works in reverse as I had a new windex fitted to my mast on one occasion when it was down. I don’t know who fitted it, but thanks to whoever did it !! All the masts had been laid across a series of trestles and someone mistook my mast for theirs, so thanks again, it was appreciated.

Before your mast comes down take photographs of the wiring connections where the wires are joined within the deckhead area inside the cabin, and record what goes where so that you are not left with a myriad of wires to connect and you’ve forgotten what goes where when it all goes back together.

Spray some WD40 or similar over the threads on your bottle screws so that hopefully they will undo easily without the stainless threads smearing and leaving you with the cost of having to buy new ones.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 29 2019, 20:15 »
We've replaced the gooseneck toggle for the newer stainless version as a precaution and the outhaul car, which had worn away due to a broken wheel.

Also fitted mast steps while the mast was down, and of course renewed standing rigging.

If you have in-mast furling, it's also the perfect time to service your furling winch, as you're less likely to lose any parts in the boatyard versus doing it in the water.

Check the sheaves for wear, cracks and UV damage and replace if needed. Check the mast foot for corrosion, and rebed your chainplates or at least make 100% sure they aren't leaking (which leads to crevice corrosion, which leads to losing the rig). Our shroud chainplates needed rebedding in 2015, the others were fine.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 30 2019, 06:53 »
Thanks all,

The electrical items are  non issue since they can be sourced easily.
I already have a wireless windvane (TacTic, which is now part of Raymarine), it is simply partially stuck so provides inaccurate readings - I will try to free it up, but also have the replacement rotating part if required.
I was mainly referring to items like sheaves etc located at the top of the mast - basically anything that would otherwise require climbing up the mast.

Yngmar, yes I have an in mast furler - apart from inspection and adjustments are you aware of any parts that are likely to require replacement after 15 years?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: May 31 2019, 07:48 »
Yngmar, yes I have an in mast furler - apart from inspection and adjustments are you aware of any parts that are likely to require replacement after 15 years?

No. Ours had a dowel pin about to fall out in one of the bevel gears, which I've replaced. But that's probably not a common issue.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)