Author Topic: Leaking hatch and window seals  (Read 6933 times)

Merv and Judy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 46/4 C
  • Boat Year: 2007
Leaking hatch and window seals
« on: January 11 2013, 11:53 »
What should we use to soften and lubricate the rubber seals on our Lewmar windows and hatches to prevent leaks? The boat is 5 years old. Thanks

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Leaking hatch and window seals
« Reply #1 on: January 11 2013, 22:54 »
I use 303 protectant on rubber  http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_11151_10001_444697_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView and never had an issue.  Make sure the rubber seal is what is letting water in.   sometimes I pull on the rubber a little to 'fluff it up' on older hatches.  I do that with the 2 rugerson butterfly hatches I have left.  The 3 main Lewmar 60's haven't needed any attention other than cleaning and lubrication.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 12 2013, 10:42 »
There is a thread called "leaking side windows," and some answers are there.
I ran a company making seals which are extruded nitrial and UV will take its toll quickly if no maintenance is carried out, by that I mean use silicone, or Vaseline which I have used for 40 years on my hatches with great results.

Over tightening is a probelem as well because it will give the nitrial a "memory" so just be carfull when closing the hatches and windows, a bit on TLC will more than pay for its self.
Odysseus
Odysseus

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: January 24 2013, 16:10 »
One more thought on leaking side windows. My rutgerson port windows leaked and it drove me nuts.  Finally my dog ripped a couple screens trying to get at a plate of bacon and i realized the screens were do it yourself and installed so the screen is between the rubber seal and the stainless rim. After removing all the screens i never had a leak again.  Our boat went through hurricane sandy on the hard and not a drop of water came in even with hurricane force wind driven rain.  I was so happy to figure out the leaking problem my dog recieved a plate full of the bacon he ripped the screens to get to.  In retrospect the internal port screens should have been the obvious culprit but i never thought about it since they looked like they were profressionally done.    If anyone has a source of rutgerson port screens or a good way to install them without leaks please let me know.  I have plans for a prototype over the summer.

Sandpiper

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 09 2013, 17:34 »
The aft port side window (Lewmar) on my 2003 Bav32 was leaking a very small amount. Just a few drops, just enough to be a nuisance. When I had a good look, the seal had an indentation in it where the perspex pressed against it, but it looked and felt otherwise in good condition. Close inspection of the perspex showed a very thin film of green algae where it pressed against the seal which I cleaned off carefully.

I got a small bottle of "care4seals" from Storrar's  chandlery in Newcastle and massaged that into the seal hoping to plump it up.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Typhoon-Care4Seals/dp/B005MJJYNS

It worked a treat. I fixed it in early November and it hasn't let another drop in since. I'm planning to treat all the other window seals as soon as the weather warms up a bit.