Author Topic: Tigress windlass brush wear  (Read 1063 times)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Tigress windlass brush wear
« on: August 23 2021, 06:07 »
Hi to all,
Recently out windlass started to get slower and harder to lift or drop but the thermal switch remained on .
We took out the case of the motor and found one brush stuck . Sprayed with contact spray , removed and the back in . The situation was good for 3 weeks . Yesterday happened the same , and I changed the 3 of them . The west can be seen in the picture compared with a new one .
I am thinking that something worse is happening and the got stuck , maybe the rotor is worn ??
The use is this every day
50 -60 meters drop in 6-8m depth , 2 times per day . Sometimes , cause of the nature of some trips we drop at 20-30 meters deep…
Should we upgrade the motor with a bigger one ? Does anybody has something stronger that the lofrans tigres on his yacht ?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Tigress windlass brush wear
« Reply #1 on: August 23 2021, 11:53 »
That's very uneven wear. I'd take the spindle out and have a look - probably some damage causing excess friction. Often times you can just file/sand the problematic bit.

Lofrans makes much bigger windlasses, for up to 400ft boats or so. Next size up after the Tigress is the Falkon (fits 10/12mm gypsy).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Tigress windlass brush wear
« Reply #2 on: August 23 2021, 13:32 »
Maybe the previous owner changed just one ? Or the springs pushing have uneven force ? I am thinking heat also cause of the heatwave and the excessive use ? With the new brushes the functionality improved drastically .