Author Topic: Has rudder come loose from shaft and tangs?!  (Read 2839 times)

Irmascherkid

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Has rudder come loose from shaft and tangs?!
« on: November 22 2018, 15:19 »
Hi again folks,

Ok here's my new dilemma at the moment,
At present the boat is still in the shed and I have just finished doing the antifouling for this time, as per normal I gave the rudder a good wiggle fore and aft, port to starboard this all seems fine with relatively little movement however if I take the rudder and turn it there is about 5-10mm of play, I had someone stand at the helm monitoring the top of the rudder stock and they said that it didn't move, there is a dull thud when I move the rudder before the helm starts to rotate?

Anyone had this issue?
Some places you can only reach by sea,
Some places you can only reach by being at sea.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Has rudder come loose from shaft and tangs?!
« Reply #1 on: November 22 2018, 15:28 »

Check your cables.
Had this problem on a charter in the BVI and found one cable stretched and frayed.
If only stretched you should be be able to tighten them

Irmascherkid

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: November 22 2018, 15:32 »
Hi Clivert
No cables on this model, it's a push rod with a crown & pinion style servo under the pedestal.

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #3 on: November 22 2018, 17:12 »
Check your end float on your crown and pinion. Also can you get someone to put their hand on the rudder stock inside the stern locker?

Irmascherkid

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: November 23 2018, 08:55 »
Hi Laysula,
Apparently someone who will remain un named wasn't paying as much attention as I expected, so branching off from your suggestion I took a video of the rudder stock and it turns at the same rate as the rudder blade, so at least that has ruled out a major problem, next step will be to inspect the connection rod and end fittings.
Will update post once I have eliminated the knocking noise and free movement.

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #5 on: November 23 2018, 09:32 »
Ok on my 1993 350 at the back of the pedastal ( mine is a Solimar) is a round plate about 50mm diameter held on with approximately six screws. in the centre is a six or eight mm allen screw. this is used to set your end float. screwing it in tightens it up and screwing it out loosens it. Before doing this see if there is any play in the steering wheel shaft by trying to move the wheel up or down or side to side. You can also remove the plate and do a visual check.

The steering rods on mine are all stainless steel shafts with rose joints at each end. check all these, there should be no play in any of them.

Check the tightness of the steering arms to the rudder stock and the bottom of the pedastal. these should be secure with no play.

Bearings and rose joints are all available from an engineering supplier, just take the old one in and ask for a replacement. Far cheaper than marine prices.

Just out of interest, where is your boat? we're in Brixham and if you want to come and look at mine that's fine.
Steve

Irmascherkid

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: November 23 2018, 10:08 »
Hi Steve,
Will have a look late on today when I'm back down at the boat, can't remember any play at the helm but can't definitely say for sure now that you mention it.

Thanks for the offer but sadly I'm up at the other end of the country  in Lossiemouth, will update info once I have had a look.
Dave

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 23 2018, 21:29 »
Although I doubt your steering is the same as mine this might be something to look at.....I have twin wheels and have continuous chains running down from the wheels inside the pedestals to the gearing which turns the quadrant by wires. I had a similar clunking noise and delay turning the rudder at one extreme end of the lock (hard to port in my case).

This turned out to be a rusted link pin which had seized two links together and was engaging/disengaging from the sprocket. Once it re-engaged the wheel turned the shaft and hence the quadrant on the rudder post....

If you have a chain running down from the wheel to the quadrant it might have a rusted link.... just a thought worth checking.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46